• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horns,bags, which one !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to get into the woods walk shooting win my 62 cal smoothy. I need to get set-up with a possibles bag,powder horn and priming horn and what ever else I need.Just looking to buy the right items the first time around ...and leaning on you folks for some solid direction..And also why you think your set up is the best..Thanks !!! Pics would help also !!

Well, you haven't provided enough information for us to help.

1. Is your gun Flint or Percussion?

2. What time period is your gun?

3. Are you looking to make the pouch and horn historically correct for the period of your gun OR are you looking for what might be the best items for the way you intend to use the gun?

4. How do/will you use the gun? IOW, does the Woods Walk you mention required Period Correct Items OR just "Old Tyme" Items?

Gus

Something else to consider. How many shots are required with round ball and how many shots are required with shot on the Woods Walk matches you participate in or plan to shoot in?

Some Woods Walk matches require some running and time is critical. Other matches not nearly as much.

Gus

Horner75 for the horn and priming horn and Calico Jack for the bag.

(Note: I avoid possible bags as they collect clutter and junk and instead use shooting bags that are smaller, but everything in them has definate uses vs. possible uses).

DSCN0145.jpg

HPIM0870.jpg

(Horn above was by Griz - he's good as well but I haven't heard from him in some time.

My favorite bag was made by Swampy but I don't think he's turning them out at the moment.

DSCN0156.jpg

Artificer said:

3. Are you looking to make the pouch and horn historically correct for the period of your gun OR are you looking for what might be the best items for the way you intend to use the gun?

4. How do/will you use the gun? IOW, does the Woods Walk you mention required Period Correct Items OR just "Old Tyme" Items?

Gus

Shooting a Tulle de Chasse 62 cal flinter...just looking to buy items...havent done a woods walk yet.. What would period items look like Vs old timey ?? Thanks !!

20140712_154602.jpg

Its fairly simle, horn for powder, bag for all the other stuff. All that's really necessary is that the stuff needed to shoot your particular gun be somewhat organized and kept handy, along with a few maintenance items, should you need to do a little field service. :wink: As to which ones are going to best work 4 you, that is something only you can determine. Shop around a little, pick out a bag n horn you like the looks of and try it. There's some great items in the classifieds here! :v

Nessmuck56 said:
Artificer said:

Gus

Shooting a Tulle de Chasse 62 cal flinter...just looking to buy items...havent done a woods walk yet.. What would period items look like Vs old timey ?? Thanks !!

Please understand I am not trying to be a nitpicker or a snob when I mention the following. One can buy and use equipment that is too late for the general period of use for a particular gun, but is still in the muzzleloading period. That is what I meant by "Old Tyme" equipment. Also, period correct pouches and horns may differ from one geographical area to another and even inside what we call geographical areas today. Also, there would be differences in the equipment between the wealthy and those less affluent.

So are you attempting an historic persona of a particular time and place? If so, that will narrow your choices a bit as the equipment changed over time.

Some folks make a somewhat smaller horn and pouch they use in matches where there are a limited number of shots and especially if they are timed events. Reducing weight and size of the equipment may mean a good deal in timed events where you aren't carrying around as much weight.

Gus

Nessmuck56 said:
Looking to get into the woods walk shooting win my 62 cal smoothy. I need to get set-up with a possibles bag, powder horn and priming horn and what ever else I need.
You might want to get a "shooting bag" too. :grin:

For a really nice nice, and I mean really nice shooting bag built to your specs, I suggest that you take a look at Darrel Lang's site: http://leatherfromthepast.blogspot.com/

His bags are museum quality and he won't break your bank account either. Trust me, you'll be glad you got quality gear from the get-go...Mick C

Last edited by a moderator:
If your primary interest would be " woodswalk" shooting...

Then it really depends on those groups you will be participating with. Some clubs focus on between 10 to 12 shots and a couple of hours. Others 20 or more shots and half a day or more. Your gear and provisions need to conform to the shoot.

Other clubs might take tasks like fire starting and make it a part of the shoot. So your "kit" might have to incorporate several other disciplines then just shooting.

That is the fun of this "thing" that we do. :)

You are from NH. So you are in a great place that is central to a lot of Woodswalk competitions - from VT, ME, and Mass.

Best way is to just go and participate. Every group is different... but almost all have folks willing to help folks get started.

Woods walkers are a special breed.... you are going to meet and make some great friends over the coming years... trust me on this one! :thumbsup:

Back