• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Mark or Not to Mark?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I've noticed some gun builders mark their guns For Black powder Only like Caywood. While others don't mark anything at all. I realize it's for liability reasons. Are the builders that don't mark anything taking a risk? I think marking a 1700's flintlock would just ruin it. Thoughts, opinions ? Thanks.

I know of no other custom builder that marks their barrels as such. As far as I know it's only factory manufactured guns that have the liability paragraphs.
Is there risk? Probably but there is risk in checking your mailbox.

Most who commission a custom build have enough sense to know the care and feeding of the ordered item.

It's total Litigious B.S.
No "warning" totally removes the possibility of any action.(period)
"Coffee may be Hot"
"Park Bench in Sunshine may be hot"
"Beware of Dog"
"Guard Dog on Duty"
"Play Ground Equipment, Use at your own Risk"

I agree that folks ordering a custom gun might have a bit more sense then avarage. Also a lot of military shooters 'defarb' thier guns. No one would wantto spend 12-5000 on a gun they would have to file some 'yo stupid it a muzzleloader' marks off the top flat.

When I built mine, all that silly writing that Rice put on my barrel got glass bedded into the stock, and only if the wood is removed, will anyone ever know its there.

Like putting up a sign outside of tomtom's pen "Don't rub tomtom belly"........ :haha:

Everybody will do it just once to see what happens...... :youcrazy: :surrender: :haha:

People are fun to watch sometimes........ :rotf:

Marc n tomtom

You file all that stuff off? I just buried it on the bottom flat where it couldn't do any harm. I didn't see any harm int he index marks, barrel manufacturer, caliber, and twist being there, as long as it wasn't slapping you in the face. And, if I ever decide to sell it, it might be handy to prove it's a Rice rather than some Chi-Com off brand.

Whether to sign my barrel on the top flat or not was a different matter. Ultimately I concluded on this one that I wasn't a good enough builder (or engraver) yet to express authorship.

They should also be stamped [do not eat]Not for human consumption and do not place in electrical socket. Oh yeah-- Small children may choke on this and this product is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

I'm not totally sure, but I think I remember something about the Black Powder warning having something to do with some import law.
The Colt re-issue series avoided that requirement by importing only the parts and then performing final assembly and finishing stateside.

Latest posts

Back