• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy Hunter Buccaneer Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Just won what is described as a Hy Hunter German made flintlock buccaneer pistol. The seller says it is 12 ga smooth bore. I believe I have handled one of these years ago. It has the brass flash pan with the odd forward sloped top like some period European pistols. Anybody have one? If so what is your opinion of it?

Yea I have one and it's considerably larger than 12 gauge. The muzzle on mine has quite a substantial cone going back an inch or more. It sparks well and was always reliable. I never took it seriously but had a have lot of fun with it. My load was a .735" ball which I used on my Brown Bess with a number of patches to make up the difference. The charge was 100 gr. of 2f which made an impressive muzzle flash and smoke cloud. The recoil wasn't bad, just a gentile push but would raise the pistol higher than my head. Haven't shot it in over 30 years, ought to get it out and make some smoke.

hawkeye2 said:
Yea I have one and it's considerably larger than 12 gauge. The muzzle on mine has quite a substantial cone going back an inch or more. It sparks well and was always reliable. I never took it seriously but had a have lot of fun with it. My load was a .735" ball which I used on my Brown Bess with a number of patches to make up the difference. The charge was 100 gr. of 2f which made an impressive muzzle flash and smoke cloud. The recoil wasn't bad, just a gentile push but would raise the pistol higher than my head. Haven't shot it in over 30 years, ought to get it out and make some smoke.

Originally meant to shoot people at close range. Not a target gun. "gentiles" might resent the reference to recoil...? < just joki'n around >

Mine came today and it has the same peculiar cone at the muzzle. I was not quite prepared for what a beast of a handgun it is. 18 inches long and massive. The lock works great and the trigger pull is actually very nice. About 2 pounds.

I took the barrel off and found no marks of any kind on the barrel. I thought since it came from Germany that it might have German proofs.

Nice! Even if a 'bargain brand', it looks good. Update us when you get a chance to light it up.

Enjoy your new new iron!

I once owned the exact same pistol. It was marked: HY-Hunter. Bought it from Klein's Sporting Goods, in Chicago in 1964. Think I paid around $35.00 for it new. Had a lot of fun shooting blank loads in the back yard. Used an old baby bottle brush to clean the barrel out. Mine had the same cone at the muzzle. Eventually, the sear spring broke, and had a gunsmith jerry-rig a fix. Don't remember what happened to it. If you remove the lock you might see an unusual mainspring shaped more like a sear spring, if I recall. Anyway, thanks for the memories. :haha: Rick. :hatsoff:

Whole gun looks a lot like the O. & E. Evans Contract pistol, itself a copy of the French An. XIII Dragoon Pistol of 1804-1805 period. Like all French and later American flintlock muskets, it has a brass pan and large lock. Though a different stock and hardware than the originals, this pistol has that French look. Kind of cool.

Back