• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

antique flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actualy you can tell when a flint was knapped , wether English or French ,even down to an approx. date and for which gun it was made . :) :thumbsup:

you can tell

:shake: No I can't.
How do YOU do it? :confused:

Actually, my original post was a bit in jest. I was just positive someone would come along to tell us the old flints benefited from, aging, air drying, curing or being blessed by aliens from Mars. Didn't happen. You guys are just too serious. :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
you can tell

:shake: No I can't.
How do YOU do it? :confused:

Actually, my original post was a bit in jest. I was just positive someone would come along to tell us the old flints benefited from, aging, air drying, curing or being blessed by aliens from Mars. Didn't happen. You guys are just too serious. :wink:

I'll wager 1601phil was also posting in jest. Appears that serious bug just came back around & bit you on the backside :rotf:

Shape ,type the way they were knapped, wether spall or wedge , colour and impurity content will show origin ,there realy is a lot to learn about flints :) Where they were found is also important , worth noting that most original musket flints will not fit into the jaws of a modern repro.

Hi Frank

The book you require is On the manufacture of gun-flints by Sidney B.J.Skertchly.

I will lend you my copy if you can't find one.

best

Robin

BrownBear said:
Rifleman1776 said:
...genuine antique flints.

Always reminds me of the big bins of "genuine Indian arrowheads" at roadside clip joints in the Southwest and Frontierland in Disneyland.

Minie balls in Gettysburg.

Friend tells me key to true patina is to bury them where pigs are kept. Urine antiques 'em in 5-6 days in the summer.

Why would anyone do that , falsify relics from their own history .Any way the topic was about flints .

I have an obsidian arrow point that was crafted more or less 30 years ago. I took it to the Monroe guns show last year and showed it to some knappers that where there. they instantly ID the knapper and where the glass came from.

Years ago, Navy Arms offered original Napoleonic Wars era French gunflints for sale, priced less than modern made English flints. I bought several bags. Easily the best flints I've ever seen, beautifully made, tops and bottoms perfectly parallel, not a humpback in the bunch. They were rifle sized, to boot. I'm down to my last bag, which I'm saving. Recently a bunch of old English gunflints came up on eBay, for a really attractive price. I couldn't resist, and bought a bag. Most are musket sized, which I can use in my NW gun, some are rifle sized, and a few are either strike light or wall gun sized. Interestingly, there were a number of spall type flints, and a couple that look like Spanish flints. For more on the various types of flints and different methods of manufacture, see Hamilton, Gunflints of Michilimackinac.

Rod

Back