• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swamped vs Straight barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is so little difference in barrel harmonics between a swamped vs straight barrel, it really means nothing to most of us.

Wow! Interesting reading but lengthy to get to the last 20 or so words the might have meaning to this group.
However, I'm sure, you are aware there are those who also have impressive credentials that disagree with you.

hanshi said:
Yep, BS. For off hand target shooting I much prefer a straight barrel. For general use and hunting there is nothing like a swamped barrel. If I ever get another rifle it will have a swamped barrel.

I agree with Hanshi. For hunting a swamped barrel can't be beat. I hunted with straight barrels for many years, but hunting with a swamped barrel is so nice because it balances well. :thumbsup: Octagon to round barrels like my trade gun are not bad either.

Rifleman1776 said:
there is so little difference in barrel harmonics between a swamped vs straight barrel, it really means nothing to most of us.

Wow! Interesting reading but lengthy to get to the last 20 or so words the might have meaning to this group.
However, I'm sure, you are aware there are those who also have impressive credentials that disagree with you.

Of course there are those who disagree, that is everyone's right. The proof, though is in actual testing. I admit I am a bit jaded as I have heard so many claims over the years and when the barrels were tested, they did not meet the claims made of them.

Gus

So that pretty much explains why I shoot my 45 cal 7/8" 34" GM barreled Ohio Vincent (percussion) better than ALL of my Douglas and Rice barreled LR's (flint). It's shorter and stiffer, particularly with the metal under rib. I have a 48" 38 cal A-weight coming from Charles some time soon (I hope). I doubt I can expect anything better from that either.

This target was shot using a flintlock rifle made from a Chamber's Early York kit. The barrel is a Rice B weight .45 caliber, swamped, 42 " long. The rifle weighs less than 8 pounds. The target was shot off of a bench rest at 50 yards. Oh yes, 5 shots.

So according to the sources that provided the comment to the OP, am I to assume that those five shots would have gone through "exactly the same hole" if the barrel was straight compared to swamped?

See you have proven their comments - your rifle put a clover leaf hole in the target at 50 yards.

That is so "inaccurate" in comparison, may as well scrap that rifle :rotf:

Thanks folks. I have fired very many "groups" that were much worse. This particular barrel is not picky about the amount of powder used. More powder, within reason, just shoots a little lower.

Last month, I gave this rifle to my son-in-law. Here is my daughter loading the one (made in 1973) I gave to her several years ago.

Now that's the way to have fun :bow: . Nice family event and everyone is involved :hatsoff: .

I didn't realize the photo was truncated at the bottom. Annah is 5' 0" tall, and is standing on a stool.

Thank you all who have responded. All the comments were very helpful. I am looking at a pre 1812 rifle that a militia man would have had. Also for hunting and shooting. Now armed with more info and getting older a swamped holds a lot of appeal.
Now, the picking out of what I want. Wahoo....

Naw, that's :bull: . Let me soften that harsh statement a bit by saying that if there is any difference, and I'm not saying that there is, you are only going to know it if you fasten your barrels down so that they are not subject to normal human error and fire them in a test tunnel. Under narmal usage in the hands of a human, any minute difference in the accuracy of the two barrels will be lost in the normal wibbles and wobbles that go on when a human is holding and sighting the rifle. Actually, in the hands of a human, the swamped barrel may prove to be a bit more accurate simply because of the way it handles and balances.

Latest posts

Back