• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

dutch oven beard?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody had try a beard recipe that I cook in my dutch ovens thanks

I never cooked mine, but I leaned too close over a dutch oven full of sourdough biscuits one day and singed it pretty bad. :haha:

Spence

I have, but it has been almost 20 years. We cooked a lot over a camp fire then. :hmm: What I remember is you have to make sure the pan does not sit directly on the bottom of the oven. We put a couple of rocks in it to keep it up. And then just try. Now, you have me thinking. Might have to try next week. :grin:

I asume you meant Bread. I love cooking in dutch ovens and have made bread many times. I like a no knead bread recipe, here is a link to the video that started it all.

http://youtu.be/13Ah9ES2yTU

For a QUICK BREAD, use any biscuit, bannock or cornbread recipe.
(My friends eat my buttermilk "drop biscuits" as fast as they come out of the oven. ====> I don't think that I've ever successfully "filled up" our hungry bunch of "wild Canucks" (from A Company, 10th LA Infantry, PACSA) on hot biscuits/butter/apple butter/jam, even with a pair of 18" dutch ovens.)

I've made numerous cakes, fruit cobblers, cream pies, sweet rolls, dinner rools & yeast bread "from scratch" in a dutch oven (as a "field skills demonstration" to BSA adult leaders, JASM & SPL, for over 40 years) but I personally find that making those things are "just too time consuming" for most ML/camping pursuits/trips.
(That said, ANY yeast bread or sourdough recipe, as well as any pastry recipe will work WELL in a dutch oven, if you have more than 12 hours "to spare".)

Btw, it has been my experience that the LARGER/DEEPER the oven the better it will bake.

just my opinion, satx

My grandmother has a real good recipe for yeast bread in my dutch oven she don't use our oven in the summer time and I think I will try it sometime. Btw I am bad about spelling bread wrong sorry

You could also just use frozen bread dough from the freezer section of your local super market. Cook it just like you would in a conventional oven. Put a trivet on the bottom of the of the Dutch oven for your bread pan to sit on and be careful not to burn the top of the loaf as they rise close to the lid.

It’s not my favorite method and you do need a Dutch oven big enough to fit a bread pan,”¦..but it does work.

“Warning” the smell of fresh baking bread from a Dutch oven combined with the light aroma of good wood smoke will drive anyone downwind crazy with hunger. :grin:

AGREED 100%.

At the last Cedar Creek re-enactment that we attended (shortly before "Duckie" became "a lady on wheels"), we made so many "drop biscuits", in the first 24 hours, that I had to make "a trip into town" to buy more flour, buttermilk, baking powder, butter, syrup, honey, etc. AND finally borrowed another dutch oven to make more at a "batch".
(Many "good & old friends, that neither of us had ever met" came over to beg for "a buttered biscuit"! = CHUCKLE.)

yours, "Duckie" & satx

"I am confused about Dutch Oven Beard which seems to result in Bread."

"If you cooked Dutch Oven Goatee I assume you would be making muffins/ Right?"

Dutch Oven Beard makes as much sense as " (shortly before "Duckie" became "a lady on wheels".

I have noted lots of folks put a spacer under the loaf....good idea. I dont eat bread much any more, but I used to heat the ground with a fire then clear all the coals off so the DO sat on bare warm ground and placed the coals around and on top in the usual manner, didn't have trouble with it burning, I used lots of butter or bacon grease in the pot and heated it well before I added the dough.
Gootee is fine but van dyke is a little richer :haha:

I used to cook bannock straight in the oven using coals, nothing to keep it off the bottom, had to really stay on top of it to keep it from burning, but it worked OK. I've baked biscuits more recently by putting them in an iron biscuit pan up off the bottom, that works very well and is less of a hassle. I've also baked no-knead bread in the dutch oven but at home, in a regular oven.

Spence

Back