• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
armakiller said:
600 caps ain't nothing. It's when a store gets in a case and someone (a friend that's been called) buys the whole case. Its the same with 22lr. A store gets in a shipment and a employee calls a couple of buddies and holds them until they get there and then there's no 22lr. for the common man. I went to a Gun Show this weekend and they were asking 55 dollars for a brick of 550rds. One guy there had the Louis an Clark riflemans knife that Track of the Wolf sells for $36.00, he wanted $85.00 for it.

It all depends what one actual use rate is. For some, 600 caps might be a couple of months of shooting so buying the 600 would be more than justified. For others if might be a few years of shooting. Such shooters might be more prudent and buy what they actually need.

The worst part is that there seems to be a misplaced sense of pride by some in "cleaning out" a store's supply. I won't even get into the flippers -- they're reprobates.

Rifleman1776 said:
CalGunner said:
Reading through this thread, it's clear why there is a shortage of caps. Like .22 ammo, some are quite proudly buying far more then they could ever use anytime soon whenever they find any for sale.

One explanation, I heard from someone who contacted a manufacturer, was that big companies like Remington and CCI have a bigger demand, and higher profits, from making modern cartridge primers than ml percussion caps. They will not shut down those lines to make what we need until the buying frenzy for modern components and ammo subsides. It could become a big problem. I suspect we will be seeing more import caps on the market soon. Right now I am using some new in box, but 40+ year old, import caps from my store in Indiana. Had to turn down a #11 nipple to make them fit but I'm still in business for a while. This situation may explain why flintlocks never really went out of style.

I don't think that's the case. I've studied the smokeless ammo supply issue and it's all about hoarding -- people buying far in excess of what they need, lowlife flippers and (particularly in the case of .22LR ammo) a lot of new gun owners.

The reason I conclude that is that there has been no mention of a shortage of raw materials -- powder, brass or primers. It's all about assembly machine time which I have been told time and time again is running flat-out. The machines used to make caps are dedicated to that production.

The good part is that centerfire smokeless ammo is largely beginning to recover. Rimfire is still a problem in many places and will continue to be until the hoarding/flipping ends.

Wal-Mart had CCI #11's in Plymouth NH at $7.99 per 100 tin. Kind of high but only 4 blister packs on the rack.

I would look around as I bought 10 packs of Rem #10'sat Riley's in Hooksett for $3.20 100.

It seems here in NH the only folks looking for ML stuff are the Non-traditional ML hunters looking for a few extra days of der season.

We Traditional type shooters need to get like the bow hunters who get extra tags and all that for Non-traditional arms/ re-curves. crossbows with permit, compound bows etc.. Bitter you bet.

Have you or anyone reading this bought these and fired them yet? Someone said they were quite old and they are #11 rifle caps.
The ones I bought were #11's. I don't know about being old or not but they fired just fine. I have gone through about half a tin so far. Every one fired off perfect. Better than the last tin of CCI's I bought.

I've found storing caps to be hit and miss. I have some Italian caps and also some Dynamit Nobel caps from the 60's that still pop just fine.

OTOH, I had 2 tins of Remington caps from the mid 70's that are 100% stone dead - not even a fizzle.

Back