• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flinter project rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this .50 caliber Traditions Mt. Rifle on our Classified page. Thought it had possibilities since it was made from Austin and Halleck left over parts according to the member who owned it. I found the components to be pretty decent but was appalled by the poor job they had done on the stock with sanding marks and finger prints in the heavy paste stain obscuring most of the maple figure. After lots of stripping, sanding(!!!) and Danish oil stain it turned into a pretty nice rifle. It also has an exceptional spark for bargain flinter! Waiting for a day below 100 degrees to go try it out.

MountainRifle.jpg

MountainRifle2.png

MtRifle3.png

Purty :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I know who ya got it from, he's got the idea that he's using "historically correct" methods of finishing, making it what he thinks it should have looked like.
It is nice to see it brought back to the rifle it's was meant to be.
Nice job.

Thanks - It is actually a Traditions factory built rifle. The story goes that they bought the left over Austin and Halleck inventory and assembled them for sale with Traditions barrel markings. Looks identical to the Mt Rifles Austin and Halleck sold while they were in business except for the awful stock finishing.

Back