• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimKok

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I live in Jacksonville Fl and I was woundering if anyone else is having problems finding the no#11 caps I have been to a couple of stores were they always have them but for the last couple of months there is none to be found.
Thanks
Jim

They were non existent in MD last winter, Found bunches in PA, Tnen by April they were plentiful in MD again. They are about $8/100 now. I got a box of 1000 in May at my local indoor range that I passed over probably 20 times never seeing them in the corner. They were probably 5+ years old and priced at $3.89/100

i just got some from a mail order place up here for 5.79 a hundred. was able to get a 1000. worked out to 77 for the 1000 with tax and shipping. but they are low on them. they had to scrounge from another store location of theirs to get the 1000.

There's a few threads about getting caps on the "Shooting Accessories" Forum. They have some places to call for them. I can get caps down here but they are $7.99 to $8.99 a 100, But I shoot a flintlock so I don't worry about getting them.

Saw some RWS caps a few weeks ago. They were 10.00 a tin. They are the only ones I have seen for a long time. As a side note I went to a big flea market Sunday and only saw one real black powder rifle. It was a .45 cal Kentucky for 125. It was in real good shape. But made by the company that starts with M------? I saw on here a while back they were not very good so passed. Also saw some 100 rnd boxes of 22 shells for 22.50 :shocked2: :shocked2: I was hoping to pick up some caps or flints but no luck. 2 1/4 inches of rain last night. No hay baling today. :grin: larry

Third generation shooters supply has Reminton caps.They are 2.99 a tin. But you have to pay the full Haz/mat fee. So you need to go together with some one and get a couple of thousand to make it practical. :idunno: :idunno:

I just bought 12 tins of 100 caps from there and would definitely do it gain. after all was aid and done I paid roughly $6 dollars a tin. I can't beat that price anywhere around here. And I had my order 3 days later. I will definitely order from them again and recommend them to others.

I was just at Sportsmans Warehouse and was delightfully surprised to see allot of caps there. Lots of musket caps too. I picked up a couple tins. They had CCI mags which were the cheapest at 5.79 and Remington were 5.99 but the German 1075s which have been going up steady were 9.99 now.

Just found 600 CCI caps and bought them all for $5.83 per 100. I've had caps on order for two months from another guy.

Just like gasoline...after getting these prices,
do you thing they will ever come down??? Sure..

I just put in an order to Third Generation. We'll see how it goes. Remington's aren't my first choice but they better than nothing.

local gun shop has plenty of #10, #11, & musket caps. and at 11 bucks a hundred i'm guessin' they'll have them for some time. might move a few when huntin' season gets closer but seems most in this area gots the condom-bullet launchers & use 209 primers 'stead of caps. have a good'en friends & neighbors, bubba.

just like gasoline, when Nixon's "gas shortage" started gas was around $.32gal. there was lines, shortages, even-odd days & other assorted nonsense. when it got up around 2 bucks there was miraculously plenty of gas. then prices started to fall & it stabilized at around $.75gal & people were happy, so, with a similar philosophy, with the Obozo scare people started hoardin' & vultures started scalpin' & next thing ya know caps are 12 to 15 bucks if ya can even find'em. so most will probably be happy if $2.00 caps get down anywhere around 5 bucks & stabilize.

my opinion & yer welcome to it. have a good'en, bubba.

Linc said:
I just put in an order to Third Generation. We'll see how it goes. Remington's aren't my first choice but they better than nothing.

I too bought mine from Third Generation. Been through about 100 with no problems. :)

Reading through this thread, it's clear why there is a shortage of caps. Like .22 ammo, some are quite proudly buying far more then they could ever use anytime soon whenever they find any for sale.

600 caps ain't nothing. It's when a store gets in a case and someone (a friend that's been called) buys the whole case. Its the same with 22lr. A store gets in a shipment and a employee calls a couple of buddies and holds them until they get there and then there's no 22lr. for the common man. I went to a Gun Show this weekend and they were asking 55 dollars for a brick of 550rds. One guy there had the Louis an Clark riflemans knife that Track of the Wolf sells for $36.00, he wanted $85.00 for it :youcrazy: .

CalGunner said:
Reading through this thread, it's clear why there is a shortage of caps. Like .22 ammo, some are quite proudly buying far more then they could ever use anytime soon whenever they find any for sale.

One explanation, I heard from someone who contacted a manufacturer, was that big companies like Remington and CCI have a bigger demand, and higher profits, from making modern cartridge primers than ml percussion caps. They will not shut down those lines to make what we need until the buying frenzy for modern components and ammo subsides. It could become a big problem. I suspect we will be seeing more import caps on the market soon. Right now I am using some new in box, but 40+ year old, import caps from my store in Indiana. Had to turn down a #11 nipple to make them fit but I'm still in business for a while. This situation may explain why flintlocks never really went out of style. :thumbsup:

I think it was Carter who had the "gas shortage" because of the dealing in the middle East with the Shaw of Iran and the Ayatolla mess. I was starting to drive at that time and the price of gas made it hard to do on the wage I was making.

It was Carter. Maybe Nixon too but I remember because I was in the Marines at that time and I was concerned when driving home on leave. Lots of places didn't sell gas on Sunday and some states limited gas to prevent topping off while other states imposed minimums you could buy to keep from topping off.

Back