• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lessons learned on gunbroker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba.50

Barefoot Hillbilly
Reaction score
was browsin' a bit on gunbroker & found this gem.

"1/2 stock longrifle" & the 42in barrel is rifled with "7 flats(lands I guess) & 8 grooves" :doh: . i'd sure like to see that marvel up close to see how they managed that! :rotf:

bubba.50 said:
was browsin' a bit on gunbroker & found this gem.

"1/2 stock longrifle" & the 42in barrel is rifled with "7 flats(lands I guess) & 8 grooves" :doh: . i'd sure like to see that marvel up close to see how they managed that! :rotf:

Maybe the seller is counting the big scratch where he tried to use a screwdriver to pull out a stuck jag :idunno:

:rotf:

Yall just don't comprehend metallurgy. Clearly the seller used an arc welder to fix something that wasn't broke and was therefore inferior.

Seven flats are really hard to inlet in a stock with a flat on top with parallel sides, and 8 grooves are some kind of witchraftyness since 7 is a holy number, however since an hyperbolic paraboloid can be achieved from a flat plain and the Archimedean screw can possess any number of vanes, there is no difference except differences of degree between degrees of difference and no difference. :confused: Treestalker.

the seven flats is in the description of the riflin'. it's what he called the lands. "rifling is 7 flats & 8 grooves".

bubba.50 said:
the seven flats is in the description of the riflin'. it's what he called the lands. "rifling is 7 flats & 8 grooves".

So I have the 7 flats & 7 grooves in my poor little drawing, if you could just show me where to add the 8th groove(without making an 8th flat), so I could see my mistake, because I'm just not seeing it. :surrender: Not saying it isn't so, I just don't see it.

Evidently you are unaware of the groove-within-a-groove invented by the famous hunter and gun maker
Professor E. Fudd.

Used only for guns specifically dedicated to the hunting of Wascally Wabbits, the seven flat/eight groove design proved to be highly effective for shooting down the curved entrances of Wabbit dens. However, because of it's limited application, very few were produced.

The last know barrel of this type is held by the Smithsonian Museum of Early American History and is displayed only on the 31st. of September each year.

If that gun is truly an original Fudd barrel, it could be priceless.

Semisane said:
Evidently you are unaware of the groove-within-a-groove invented by the famous hunter and gun maker
Professor E. Fudd.

Used only for guns specifically dedicated to the hunting of Wascally Wabbits, the seven flat/eight groove design proved to be highly effective for shooting down the curved entrances of Wabbit dens. However, because of it's limited application, very few were produced.

The last know barrel of this type is held by the Smithsonian Museum of Early American History and is displayed only on the 31st. of September each year.

If that gun is truly an original Fudd barrel, it could be priceless.

But isn't either side of the 8th groove considered a flat? But then they would also be grooves to the flats? :idunno: :rotf:

But isn't either side of the 8th groove considered a flat? But then they would also be grooves to the flats?

Professor Fudd always maintained that this is not so.

In his famous response to the AGFA (American Groove and Flat Association), Fudd said;

"Gentlemen, when I cut the seventh groove into the barrel, it it clearly a groove. Cutting a groove within that groove cannot turn it into a flat any more than digging a trench in a valley can turn the valley into a mountain".

Any chance it was typing mistake, sure see a lot of them here.

Did you send the seller a note to verify his description? Would seem fair to the seller

don't get yer bloomers in a knot Richard. it was just somethin' to have a little fun with. now go have a cup of chamomile tea & chill.

"don't get yer bloomers in a knot Richard. it was just somethin' to have a little fun with. now go have a cup of chamomile tea & chill."

Seems you seemed to jump on a possible mistake a person made, maybe it is you who needs to chill and not have fun with others possible mistake.

Did you do contact the seller for verification?

I know, Bubba 50, that he referred to the flats inside the barrel. :) I was just pretending to misunderstand so as to have more fun! :grin: My Dad used to say folks 'got the answer right, they just got the question wrong. :shocked2: "Between the vision and the reality lies the shadow" as T.S.Elliot said. :haha: Buyer beware!! Treestalker. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Was this a Hawkins, Hawkens, Hawkings or a CSA Mutton Rifle? I just never knowed there was some many variations of these black power riffles! Muscle loaders, you gotta love 'em!

(While I haven't seen every misnomer, above, I've encountered more than half!)

Whatever the number of lands/grooves it was NO DOUBT, "converted from flint" and was carried not only in the Civil War but was possibly built and used during the Revolution but cut down to a half-stock later in it's life (when it was converted to percussion)..

"....however since an hyperbolic paraboloid can be achieved from a flat plain and the Archimedean screw can possess any number of vanes, there is no difference except differences of degree between degrees of difference and no difference." Treestalker.

I....uh.....that is :hmm: ......uh......yeah! What he said. Wish I had said it. :hatsoff: And I may some day. :rotf: Beautifully stated. :thumbsup:

Back