• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hofmada15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering how those of you who carry horns to hunt or shoot put them to use. For example i normally fill up 6 speed loads with 70 grains and use them to load in the woods. Im not sure what i would do if i decided to hunt with a horn but plan on doing it this season How do you guys use your horns?
thanks

I use a horn often. I'm not sure what you are asking exactly but it's simple enough. You do need a powder measure if you plan on using a horn, as bpd303 said.

I pretty much only use my big horn when I know I'm going to take lot's of shots, when squirrel hunting for instance, or when I feel like getting my 18th century vibe on and go traditional. Otherwise I use a small flat horn. Either way I must have powder measure.

Back when I rendezvoused a bit I carried a horn on a strap separate from my hunting bag. I used a horn powder measure to load and occasionally a loading block although it has always been easier and more accurate for me to load a patched round ball without the block. Always use a measure. Now that I have retired from all that buckskinning stuff (may be coming out of retirement next year) I still use the horn but leave it on the loading bench, with the plug in the spout when shooting - another important safety practice.

bpd303 said:
I use my horn or flask with a separate adjustable powder measure, never pour powder directly into the barrel from a flask.

Same here, I like to wear mine when I dress traditional when hunting, or doing the rare woods walk. I do and will have a antler powder measure that I use once I've found a good hunting load for my rifle. .45 cal. in the making and working up a load for my .40 cal. for squirrel, rabbit season

I have my horn high on my right side since I'm right handed. I raise my horn to my mouth and remove the plug with my teeth and hold it there while I fill the measure which is attached to my shot pouch. The plug to my horn is pointed so it is easy to get it started back in the horn. After replacing the plug I lower the horn and push it back a little to get more distance from the flash in the pan when I shoot. I charge the bore and and replace the measure to my pouch strap. I shoot flint so after seating the ball I prime with a small priming horn. I considered eliminating the priming horn and just priming from my main horn as many others do but last year there was thread here about an accident when doing that. If I understand the story correctly, the shooter had a flash in the pan. While attempting to reprime the pan from his main horn the charge in the barrel went off (hangfire) and in turn set off his powder horn. Although the chances of something like this happening is very small, especially if one waits a little while before attempting to reprime, I still want only a small amount of powder in my hand when I prime! Also, on my main horn I make sure that the plug is big enough on the outside to form a sort of "roof" over the opening, in case I find myself out and about in wet weather. Got to keep that powder dry! It will also keep the sparks out of your horn.

My first horn was alone on a cowskull on a fencepost in East Texas when I found it and the owner was glad to see it go. Large end plugged with a piece of walnut and in turn drilled and plugged with a piece of oak burl I carved to a button mushroom shape and varnished. With a small end plug of walnut in violin peg shape and a deerhorn measure suitably carved to handle 70 gr 2F for a .45 longrifle. I drug it around the woods and baygalls on a separate leather thong and used it til the cows came home in the way back dreamtime before there was cactus on the border. I miss it, but not the memories it helped unravel and the love of muzzleloaders it engendered, before being donated to a younger smokepoler seeking the fragrance of an earlier and less hurried time. Thanks for your post. Be blessed. Treestalker.

I carry two horns, powder and primer. I use a non-adjustable measure, pour into that then into the muzzle. Also carry a loading block. Depending on my mood, block has from one to six extras. Rarely needed.

I have to admit I really like all this "stuff" (uh... "accoutrements") so I have three bag/horn rigs - one for each of my flintlocks. I have an antler powder measure (for the appropriate load) tied with a leather thong to each of the horns. Always there where I need it.

Here's the rig for my Dickert rifle:

IMG_2244.jpg

I also shoot from the bag and horn
. Each one of my guns has it's homemade bag,horn and measure. Never used anything else. The gray beard that was my mentor 35years ago that was how he shot. Good enough for John good enough for me.
R.I.P. John

I like to carry my horn and load from it as it holds more powder, bit it is a cheap commercial horn and doesn't pour well. I seem far more likely to overfill my measure and spill/waste powder with the horn than the flask. When do use it I carry it high on the right (I'm right handed) and slung back a little, same as most others I pull and hold the plug with my teeth, pour into a bamboo/cane measure and replug. I prime from a modern priming flask with a plunger valve for now, until I can get something better.

On trail walks and "line shooting" I use a horn or flask. For hunting I use premeasured charges held in horse wormer tubes with a wooden plug. Water tight and a good fit for the cartheart top pocket. :idunno: :idunno:

I hunt with a horn for rifle and shot. Though when I shoot my flint fowler with round balls I use paper cartridges (and a small, flat priming horn).

I have found a horn with a measure attached to the neck and a ball block with three to five patched balls ready is a fast enough method to load and reload.

I have a couple powder horns and a couple powder flasks. All with different powders in them and I pour into a measure at the range. When I hunt, I carry speed loaders. Not really for the speed part but just to condense down what I have to carry.

I like to carry my horn and load from it

Bingo! That is the essence of almost everything we discuss here. You do it because you like to do it. Congrats and carry on. :hatsoff:
Like you I use a shooting bag, horn and primer horn because I want to. Have to wear the awful blaze orange and, for safety and common sense, wear modern hunting boots. But, to that small degree I can lose myself in the way things were done back in the days. I enjoy it and do it my way. Ye don't like it? Stuff it and go elsewere. :wink:

My horn has a powder measure attached to it that will measure out the correct charge for my rifle. I wear my bag on my right but carry my horn on my left. I carry my horn on my left for two reasons, first, it is handier for me to handle my horn with my left hand and hold the measure in my right hand. It's just what works for me. Secondly, I am right handed and carrying my horn on my left side keeps it away from any flash or sparks from the pan on my rifle. It's just a safety thing for me.

In use, I set the butt of my rifle on the ground and hold it to my side with my right arm. I reach into my bag and take out a patch and put it into my mouth to wet it while I load. I pull my horn around with my left hand and use my right hand to remove the stopper and hold the measure while I pour powder from my horn with my left hand. When my measure is full, I re-stopper my horn, let it hang while I pour the powder into my rifle. I then release the powder measure and let my horn swing back to my left side whie I reach into my bag with my right hand and remove a ball. I remove the patch from my mouth by sliding it between my lips to remove any excess moisture. I don't want it dripping with spit, just moist. I use the patch and ball to finish loading. I then reach into my bag, remove my priming horn and prime my pan. Close the frizzen and I am ready to shoot. With a bit of practice, it is not a difficult thing to do and can be done rather quickly. It will get you away from the modern "in-line" pre-measured way of doing things and help you discover the pleasure of doing it the old way.

If you wish, you can use a device that is made of wood and has holes in it for pre-patched balls. This is hung around your neck by a lanyard. When you are ready to load, you pour in your powder and then use a short starter to press one of the pre-patched balls out of the wooden piece and directly into the muzzle of your rifle. It is historically correct and will speed up your loading just a few seconds. If you use such a device, you will have to use some sort of grease to lube your patches becasue spit will quickly dry out. Since I prefer to use spit on my patches, I do not use one of these devices but they are handy.

I carry my horn and load my measure from the horn then pour into the barrel after the horns plug has been replaced.

I am not defending from hostiles just reloading for a deer I already believe is dead and down, just in case, if you know what I mean.

I use a horn with FFFG for hunting in all my flintlocks. I have deer horn powder measures for each of my rifles, plus I have a small priming horn for priming the pan. Even though I use FFFG for my main charge and my priming powder I do not load or prime directly from my main horn. To do so is very dangers because a spark or ember can be in your barrel or flash hole.

Back