• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40-50 gr 45 cal rb loads for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I target shoot with 50gr 3F but use 70gr of 3F for my .45 hunting load. I just prefer to be humane with the animal. Mostly it is shot placement anyway. Good Luck :stir:

70 grains gives me the best grouping in my .45 flinter with a 42" barrel. Groups are inconsistent below that and get larger as I go past 75 gr.

I've always shot the most accurate load not the most powerful one.

I have shot all my deer and not lost any with my .50 cal. I use 50 grn of FFF, the most accurate load in my gun and enough to get complete pass thru. I am buying a .45 and plan to start with 40 grn and work up an accurate load. Hit em good and they go down.

Some old notes I have show PRB form a .45 TC Hawken generating 1550fps velocity for a 40 FFFg load and 1750fps velocity for a 50 grain FFFg load. The 50 grain load would probably have enough knock down for shorter ranged deer hunting. Got very similar velocity with same loads in the longer barrel of the old CVA Kentucky. The 50 grain load is about as low as I'd ever recommend for hunting something the size of deer.

It's a moot point from a rifle for me, for the minimum powder load for deer hunting in Maryland is 60 grains of powder....., but with a black powder handgun the minimum load is 40 grains of powder. Minimum caliber is .40 and patched round ball is fine...

:idunno:

LD

The distance from my ground blind to where I have shot 4 deer is 52 yards. that is about as far as I feel comfortable with any load with open sights.

Fred:That Canadian health care (eye perscription )ain't workin. :rotf: That's an 8 point!Shot placement, shot placement,shot placement.
How in the hell did long hunters kill so many deer and bear with calibers smaller than 45 and by just covering the ball?
Shot placement, did I already say that?
Nit Wit

Back