• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First custom flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRum

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking of ordering a custom flintlock from Steve Losey any body have any thoughts?

I have only seen pictures of his work.

His fowlers and trade guns looked good (and seem to be his "bread/butter" guns).

The couple rifles I saw seemed fairly plain and only passingly like what he called them.

If he used decent parts from good suppliers then it's tough to go wrong (technically/mechanically - how ever you want to put it)

(just my free opinion and probably worth what it cost)

Looking at your location, have you considered taking the drive to Dixon's in Kempton?

They have a pile of rifles, new, used, custom, semi-custom, mfg'd.

You can shoulder dozens and get some great advice while you do.

Yes I was just at Dixons last weekend for the gun makers fair. Just like Steve Losey look.

I bought the .62 cal "Early Rifle" he still has on his web site.
It's beautiful and shoots great. He dropped the price after he took it hunting last fall (said he took a fat doe) and I bought it used, so I can't comment on buying a custom gun from him.
I was happy with the pre transaction communication and the rifle was well packed and shipped in a wooden crate.

Thank you for the info I think I'm going to have him make me a 50 cal. Iron.

You live close by to alot of builders, well and lesser known, not that steve doesn't build a nice rifle, but that you can handle what you want and they can size it appropriately. No shipping etc...And they will probably let you come by to see it during progress etc... Just my two cents

Good thing I don't live that close to Dixon's, he'd empty my wallet, ever trip. I love that place.

You have seen his work up close and been able to handle the guns so you should have a real good basis of comparison to other customs in the same price range. Personally I have never seen one of his guns up close. I did however check out the website and either the pictures don't do his work justice or they are very early examples of some of his first builds.

From what I can see in the pictures, wood to metal fit is not great, finish, shaping and architecture of the stocks is actually pretty poor and the carving is very rudimentary. Here are but two examples of what is on his website. Look closely at the carving (lines are not smooth, parallel nor do they meet properly), fit and shaping of butt plate, uneven inletting of the side panel and shaping of the stock around the cheek piece in the first picture. Look at the way the end of the stock is shaped above the end of the ramrod in the second picture.

GEDC0091.JPG

GEDC2389.JPG.opt832x624o0%2C0s832x624.JPG

According to the site he uses very good components but based on the pictures only, I would be looking at a different builder.

That was the point I was trying to make.

His fowlers and trade guns look OK.

His rifles leave quite a bit to be desired.

I get that his prices start around 1500 bucks for a rifle which is "cheap" compared to many out there.

But maybe in this case "you get what you pay for" applies.

His rifles, at least on his website, only "passingly" resemble the tags he has on them.

TVM, although they produce generic/semi-production rifles, have a nicer fit/finish and architecture for the same money (my opinion).

For a couple hundred bucks more than the 1500 figure you could get Mike Brooks to build and finish a Chambers kit for you and then you would really have a fine looking rifle.

But, eye of the beholder applies...

Thanks everyone for the info I,m still tossing it around on what I,m going to do.

You know, glamb, I had the same thoughts looking at the pictures on the website.

I have a TVM and the inletting and finish is much nicer. IMHO, his carving leaves a bit to be desired. I certainly don't think I could do better, but I think there are other's that can. Don't want to bad mouth anyone, just trying to be honest.

All true but that appeals to some.....not all rifles of the period were made by 'masters' but by a local gunsmith.
Doesn't mean they don't shoot as well.
Sometimes a home made lookin gun is just right.

Then get one....I like the way they look, they damn sure don't look store bought and that's a good thing.

Back