• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

front sight trouble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a steel front sight and leave it at a height so it shoots a hair low, I use bluing agent to blacken the face of it, I then take a few shots to determine how high I have to hold the top of the front over the top of the rear (let's call it 1/16"), then I use a knife edge file and cut a horizontal line 1/16 inch below the top of the front. This gives me a bright bare metal aiming index on the front at the correct height. In theory another line below that could be dialed in for a further distance.

Read a book called (Death In The Tall Grass) where a big game hunter said a front sight made from the tusk of a wart hog shows up real good in low light. Well guess what I just found at a antique store! Some day I plan to dovetail a piece into my front sight. Might work, might flop, we'll see.

That book is by Peter Capstick, a professional African big game guide years ago. His books are fantastic and must reads for any hunter!
That tusk would make an interesting sight and conversation piece!

Yup. I've read all his work. Sometimes I wish I hadn't as it makes me yearn for a trip/trips I'll never get to take. I'd really like a chance at ol' syncerus caffer.

Back