• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rear peep sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbuckbuster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody ever use one of those rear sights with the peep that Track of the Wolf sells? If so what are the good and bad things about them. Looking to try something different besides putting a peep on the tang or moving rear sight forward (getting old) Thanks,Dan.

I use a peep on my flintlock that a very nice gentleman on this forum made for me. It is forward though, in the original rear dovetail. It works nicely and I'm thrilled to have it.

I assume you are referring to this one:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-CA-PEEP-14

I tried one, but frankly the hole is a little small for being so far forward. While not as nice looking, this one from Marble sights works better and is adjustable left/right and up/down.

Long Adjustable Version: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx

If you don't want it quite as obtrusive looking, the larger outside ring could be cut off and you'd still have the smaller peep ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up a second one of those peeps (from your TOTW link) at Dixon's last weekend.

And I agree with your assessment. The one I have in use, I drilled out the hole a little bigger (not much though, there isn't much "meat" above the existing hole.

I use my current one with a fiber optic (traditional style) front sight sold by MBS (MBS Fiber sight)

I'm going to try pairing the one I just bought with a very thin bladed (silver on copper base), again with the peep hole enlarged as much as possible.

I agree these are not the best/most functional peep on the market, but they do preserve the look of a more traditional sight - at least until you get really close.

They do work well enough that I bought a second one for a current build (for personal use), but if you are looking for pure functionality without any care for "historical looking", you would be better off with a more modern sight.

I would even suggest the fiber Tru-Glow sights marketed for Win 94's, 336 Marlins - they fit the same dovetails as most traditional sights.

I have a set on my Win 94 and they are awesome.

l_902000007_2.jpg

Spikebuck said:
I tried one, but frankly the hole is a little small for being so far forward.

Zackly my experience with it. Took it off the rifle and gave it to a bud. He took it off his rifle and gave it to another bud. Dunno where it is in the neighborhood these days, but I can assure you it's in a drawer and not on a rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about that hole size. Guess I will have to try another route. Can always move the rear sight forward but just hate to make more dovetails in the barrel. Have seen old guns done this way. Just hate to do it to mine. Thanks for everyones imput,Dan.

I really like the Lyman 57 peep sight and have had good luck with the TC peep. Extra apertures can be had from Williams sight company (Midway). I have a large one for hunting and a smaller one for range work. I keep the extra aperture in the cap box of my TC Hawken rifle. I shoot better with the peep sights. You just have to work at finding an aperture you can see through and shoot well and a front sight that you can see. Lots of options out there and everyones eyes are different.

Rat Trapper said:
I really like the Lyman 57 peep sight and have had good luck with the TC peep. Extra apertures can be had from Williams sight company (Midway). I have a large one for hunting and a smaller one for range work. I keep the extra aperture in the cap box of my TC Hawken rifle. I shoot better with the peep sights. You just have to work at finding an aperture you can see through and shoot well and a front sight that you can see. Lots of options out there and everyones eyes are different.

I too like the Lyman 57, had one since 79 on a TC Hawken for deer. I agree pretty much with Rat Trapper, often using the sight without any aperture at all while in the woods. One thing, and I don't think you will get the same effect with a barrel mounted peep, with a tang mounted peep close to the eye , the aperture seems to increase the depth of field that the eye can focus on, a plus now that the eyes are much older than in 79.

Save your money. With the sight mounted out on the barrel its still a blur. I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in a 1/4 inch dia. piece of brass and glued it to the tang just to see if I would like it. I love the peep. Sights are easy to align and getting a 2 to 3 inch group at 50 yards. Plan to attach the peep permanent.

I thought of another idea. This sight issue could be grounds for getting another gun :hmm: Seeing as how the sights aren't working too well for me I could say I need another one with the sights put in the proper place! Goes along the lines of some other ideas I've had. :rotf: Dan.

Sounds like a plan. My only advice would be to bring the idea before the better half while it's still warm out. :grin:

Larry

There is a reason you see a rear Peep on the 1903A3, M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.
The Japanese Arisaka has a mid mounted Peep and although it IMHO is a better sight than the traditional Sight, it pails in comparison to the rear mounted Peep. I still have my rear barrel mounted sight on my Lyman. I just have it lowered all the way, but to illustrate how the rear peep helps, I raise it and then when you look at it through the peep, even if you don't align the front sight in the center of the aperature, the movement of the front to mid mounted rear sight barely moves. It shows you how the rear peep really makes it easy to get your eye lined up quickly and precisely to the front sight.

BTW, if you want to try something really quick due to poor eyesight, look at a product called eye pal.
I use this concept for my milsurps and my sidelocks that don't have a rear peep. I just punch a little 1/16" Hole in some electrical tape, then place the tape onto my shooting glasses. It will cut down on the total light, but it will increase your range of focus and also allow you to see closer w/o reading glasses. If you know about Photography, you know reducing the aperature size (increasing fstop) will increse depth of field. Same thing.
So if you want a quick cheap solution, punch a hole in some electrical tape. Or you can cut up some small strips of electrical tape and then form your own aperature on your glasses. It makes a WORLD of difference to old eyes. Do this on a bright day for the first time!

galamb said:
I just picked up a second one of those peeps (from your TOTW link) at Dixon's last weekend.

And I agree with your assessment. The one I have in use, I drilled out the hole a little bigger (not much though, there isn't much "meat" above the existing hole.

I use my current one with a fiber optic (traditional style) front sight sold by MBS (MBS Fiber sight)

I'm going to try pairing the one I just bought with a very thin bladed (silver on copper base), again with the peep hole enlarged as much as possible.

I agree these are not the best/most functional peep on the market, but they do preserve the look of a more traditional sight - at least until you get really close.

They do work well enough that I bought a second one for a current build (for personal use), but if you are looking for pure functionality without any care for "historical looking", you would be better off with a more modern sight.

I would even suggest the fiber Tru-Glow sights marketed for Win 94's, 336 Marlins - they fit the same dovetails as most traditional sights.

I have a set on my Win 94 and they are awesome.

l_902000007_2.jpg
These are not a PEEP sight

Larry you might be onto something there! I still have to get the outbuilding insulated and heat put in! :rotf: Dan.

I have one of the T/C peep sights on my rifle and it really is a great help in seeing the sights. I can't bring myself to put a peepo sight on all of my rifles. I just don't think it would look right. For those rifles, I use a Merit Device that is an adjustable aperture the sticks to my shooting glasses wiuth a rubber suction cup. It is a really great device and clears up the sights for my aging eyes. Bottom line is that if you have problems seeing both sights and the target at the same time, any device that gives you an aperture through which to sight will be a great help.

Back