• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new lock cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine asked me to make him a cow's knee for his percussion cap rifle. I came up with a design for it but before I started cutting leather I decided I would try out the design on my 12 ga smoothbore flinter. This is the finished product. Since it's so big I call it the "Moose Knuckle". It's made from 4 oz. oil-tanned cowhide and trimmed in deer. I carved the button out of deer antler and sewed the whole thing up with artificial sinew.

As a side note, I used some 2D and 3D modeling software from work worth about 10K to perfect the design and come up with my flat patterns. Sometimes, it pays to be a nerd!

Darren

MooseKnuckle-1_zps13e83c11.jpg

MooseKnuckle-2_zps0c80f59a.jpg

MooseKnuckle-3_zps79c370e4.jpg

MooseKnuckle_4_zpsb8fc019a.jpg

You've sure stirred my thinking cap! :thumbsup:

For our rainy weather I have to use a soft one that snugs up real tight forward of the lock (and usually grease it there) just to keep rain from running down the barrel and into all the wrong places. But it doesn't rain here all the time.

I can see the place for a "utility cover" or "splash cover" for general carry and milder weather, opening the door for all kinds of leather and garnishes. Might even go fancy and match the doodahs on my shooting bag.

Lotta room to play around, and a sure sign that I like yours! :hatsoff:

I failed to mention one thing, a practical detail for using these, especially with lots of ground cover.

I've come to value adding a thong to them, which I generally tie to the rigger guard if there's room. It's one thing to take it off, but another to figure out what to do with it while you shoot or stalk closer when you can't just drop it on the ground.

Back