• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cast off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to place my butt plate and need advise on cast off. I don't have access to anything for comparison.

I stand 6' 4", got long arms and neck like most tall boys.
I'm just wondering if a tall man is as likely to need cast off as a short man.

Does it really matter that much.

Thanks

Jack

Hey Jack, I just posted up a pic/chart on another thread on how to measure for YOU.

Here it is again.

Gunfit1_zps1b255445.jpg

If you have never shouldered a rifle that has (cast) to fit you, you are in for a real treat.

It's amazing how a small amount of cast can make such an amazing difference.

From the chart/calculations you will find that the amount you need has more to do with how your body is "layed out" as opposed to your height.

I'm 6'1", my (unaltered) length of pull is 15 1/2" yet my cast off is only 1/4".

(on the chart I didn't "tag" D which is length of pull)

Keep in mind that formula in the image is not a dogmatic truth that works for everyone. It can be a starting point if you are totally in the dark as to how to fit.

I agree, IMHO I couldn't believe what a difference it made, right on target the second you shoulder the rifle- fits like a fine shotgun. Just a little helps a lot. Some rifles only have 1/8" or 3/16".

I put 3/8" in my first build (hey I was guessing) and it was too much.

Absent building it in in the first place, does anyone know how to bend a stock on a completed gun?

Col. Batguano said:
...too much.

You want a real demo of how much difference a small bit of castoff can make, shoulder a gun "wrong handed" like we lefties often have to do. Jeezopete. With less than 1/4" you can hardly find the sights, much less line them up.

On a side note, I've achieved very nice "cast off" by thinning cheek pieces and up into the combs on factory guns. I like that approach because you can thin gradually and "fine tune" the cast off for your own build. For example, I have to thin the cheek piece on a Lyman GPR by more than 50%, but I can get a "custom" fit that rivals a custom lovingly built to fit me.

Conversely, when I shoulder a righty gun on the side without the cheek piece, I often encounter lots of "cast off."

Yes, I should have put the "disclaimer" that the (template) is a rather general starting point AND was developed for modern rifles that don't "need" to follow the comb line of, say, a Bedford rifle etc.

I use the results of that chart to try and "wiggle in" what I can without destroying the original architecture of the rifle style I'm going for.

And yes, 3/16" - 3/8" of cast off (for a right handed shooter) would be reasonable even if you didn't know who would be shooting the rifle.
(although 3/8" is starting to become "pronounced")

I do believe it is called "cast on" if the shooter is left handed, but is calculated the same way.

Generally you work in the cast from the center of the butt plate to the nose of the comb (by moving the center of the butt plate to the right of the center line of your blank by your offset - 1/4" or whatever).

On a couple of occasions, when working with rather thin stock blanks I have carried the cast all the way to the rear most point of the tang (to allow enough wood for the cheek piece).

However, that does (bend) the wrist and would not be appropriate for higher caliber rifles or those that would shoot heavy conicals over heavy power charges (so maybe 45 cal at the max, 40 and under all the better).

I've used 3/16" or slightly less on several of the rifles I've built.

It's small enough to not be noticed but the difference it makes when bringing the gun up to the shoulder is amazing.

The sights just seem to automatically align with my right eye without even thinking about it. :shocked2:

Due to your "build" I would only trust guns that you presently use. Use them as a guideline for any future guns. Suggestions as a fit for you and gained over the internet are folly.

I now build only spec RHed LRs and the LOP on these LRs is 13-3/4" and the castoff is 3/16".....seems to fit most people. I'm fortunate in that what fits me, fits most people. I'm 6'-2" tall and weigh 196 lbs and shoot LRs in a normal mount.

Perhaps you need another 1/4" LOP and use 3/16" csstoff which depends on the style of rifle.....thick butted stocks might require more castoff whereas "skinny" buttstocks are possibly better off w/ no castoff. Of course, these are "internet suggestions' which can be questiuoned.

If you presently don't have rifles that can be used for "fitting", then you have a problem which won't be solved over the internet.....Fred

Thanks Fred,
I have many rifles, 3 M1 Garands, 1 Mi-A, several rolling blocks and many lever guns, all with straight stocks. I'm used to raising my shoulder and tilting my head but would like my long rifle to fit me perfectly as possible.

Thanks, all of you for the help

Jack

Latest posts

Back