• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brown bess flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpc3401

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I got a Pedersoli Brown Bess for 740 brand new. It came with a flint and a lead holder for the flint. I cant seem to keep it tight. I see some use leather. Is there a certain type of leather or brand to use? Or is it normal to retighten it after each use. I have not fired it yet, I have never fired one of these things at all. I haven't fired any gun since the 90's. Maybe you can let me know how to properly install a flint. Thanks

Go with leather and you won't have to keep tightening it if the has a flat on top and bottom.
Lead compresses but does not spring back or rebound as leather will although sheet lead can be made to work if the flints are reasonably flat on both sides.
It helps to have swede on one side of the leather but is not necessary.
Leather is more forgiving in my opinion. Mike D.

I much rather use thin leather, for me it seems to grip the flint better. If installed correctly you shouldn't have to do anything to the flint after instillation other than knapping it until you need to replace it. Having to tighten the jaws constantly is not normal.

I've had better luck with leather that is a little thicker actually. But constantly retightening is not normal.

Welcome to the forum and addiction.

A great article on flintlocks. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/222420/

I don't have a brown Bess but several of my locks have lead wrapped flints. I found that after tightening several times they settle down and hold tight. It takes a little more torque to hold though. Have fun & keep your flint sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather. I have used lead and, as others say, it does not grip properly. OK in an emergency, you can pound a ball flat. But normally just leather. Whatever you have will work. Do get spare flints, they are not forever items.

Dunno if it really makes a difference or not cuzz I've never tried it any other way.

But the old geezer that showed me how to mount a flint held the leather in his mouth for a few moments to dampen it before installing the flint. By the time the leather dries in place, the flint is really locked in.

I haven't seen it written up before, but I've never found flint shift to be a problem doing it this way.

I also use a damp piece of leather when installing a new flint. Nothing any taster than gun powder flavored leather. LOL

Kennyc said:
...a damp piece of leather....

At the extreme end of things, a bud wraps the base of his flints in wet rawhide and installs them on his guns. Once dry, he removes the flint, hard rawhide and all, and puts in another wet one. Over several days he accumulates a number of them, which he keeps ready to install in his gun as needed. Preformed for an exact fit to the jaws and virtually glued to the flint, you can just imagine how secure the installation is.

I got a load of elk leather many years ago that I used to make some leggings and to hold the large black english flints for my Pedersoli Bess. For me, it has been an outstanding medium to hold the flint. Rarely, if ever has a flint loosened up on me during a shooting session. :hatsoff:

Back