• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missouri Bullets RB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used Missouri Bullets round balls? They suggest their .487 RB with a .015 patch, which is looser than I use. Just curious if this size/patch combo has worked well for others.

Jeff

I've used Missouri Bullet Company's 0.487 round balls with a 0.015 patch. They do work well, even though they seem a little looser to run down the bore than what many have grown accustomed to (tight patch/ball combination equals better accuracy; may not always be true). Each barrel can be different and shoot differently even among the same manufacture. The Missouri Bullet Company's patch recommendation is just that - only a recommendation. It still falls upon the individual shooter to determine what ball/patch combination works best for their rifle. What's of interest about the Missouri Bullet Company's lead ball is their diligence to quality control and the consistency of their lead hardness. Brinell 5 is simply pure lead.

I haven't tried them but I wouldn't be surprised to find that slightly smaller balls will shoot very accurately and load easier as a bonus.

I've long believed that the old timers back in the 18th and 19th century often used balls that were smaller than the ones we use today.

A .020 or .025 under bore ball with a thick patch would be easier to start into the barrel but could still seal off the rifling grooves well enough to be accurate.
It also wouldn't need to be started with a short starter (which history seems to indicate was not used back then).

Of course the "5 shots that can be covered by a dime" people wouldn't want to use balls that far undersized but I suspect the hunters would be happy to use "way undersized" balls if they shot accurately and loaded easily.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds worth experimenting. I'll add some of the RB to my next order. Since I don't hunt any more, I only need minute of steel target accuracy at 100 yards.

Zonie: I sometimes have that 5 shots covered by a dime attitude. But reality, eyesight and my shooting 'skills' keep interfering. :haha: That's why I shoot for fun.

Jeff

Back