• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot for 62 cal ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my new Tulle 62 cal.....and was wondering about the shot gun end of things.Iam sure this topic has come up a 1,000 times...but..what's the common use...lead shot or steel shot ?? And where is that purchased ?? Also what is the loading sequence in layman terms...my first smoothy..so take it easy..but been shooting a Flintah since '88 and cap in '79. thanks

Welcome! I load the powder and then a prelubed OxYoke 20g felt wad. I then form a shot cup from a small precut strip of pillow ticking. The strip is about 3/4 inch wide and maybe 2-3 inches long. I place the middle of the strip on top of the muzzle and then push the strip into the bore using my short starter. I leave just enough cloth exposed to hold with my fingers. I then pour my shot load into the cup formed by the cloth. I ram this all down solid and then place another felt wad on top of the shot. Good luck!

I would not shoot steel shot out of a Tulle. steel shot will scratch the barrel and could possibly cause it to burst. not something I would want to do to a $1000.00 or more gun

A typical load column will consist of 4 parts
Ӣ Powder
Ӣ Over powder wad
Ӣ Shot
Ӣ Over shot wad
The individual components will vary from shooter to shooter.

I load a bit different, I pour in a measure of powder then take a wad of sisal tow, lube lightly with beeswax/olive oil lube and roll into a ball between the palms of my hands. Then I ram that home good and tight, pour in the same measure of shot as I did powder and top it off with another smaller ball of tow.
Periodically when travelling I will re-tamp the load just to make sure it hasn’t loosened up but it never seems to.

colorado clyde said:
A typical load column will consist of 4 parts
Ӣ Powder
Ӣ Over powder wad
And then a 1/2" fiber cushion wad with wax or lube around the edge
Ӣ Shot
Ӣ Over shot wad
The individual components will vary from shooter to shooter.

Just one addition as above. I find a fiber wad over the 1/8" over-powder wad improves my patterns. I also use brown grocery paper bag strips to make a shot cup to keep lead off the barrel walls and keep the shot from being scoured.

Bout’ time you show up”¦been waiting for you to straighten us out.
Your right a cushion wad can help tighten patterns, I’ve used cork, felt, fiber, and tow.
There are a lot of options for shot gunners and your paper shot cups do work well I have even used them in a conventional shotshells although I modified your design slightly. :thumbsup:

my experience larger charges blow the pattern. The old timers seem to stess more shot and less powder.Dont try to magnum your gun.60-70 grains of powder will do in any thing in the practical range of an unchoked gun...for me that's about 25 yards.

My experience is that one of the "old sayings" from back in the day that actually has merit is:
"Load powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead"

My general purpose load in a .62cal smoothbore is:
70grn powder measure setting of Goex 3F and 100grn powder measure setting of shot for doves & squirrels.

My shot charge for Turkey is 120grn setting

'bout right.

Powder. Overpowder card (with a little lube around the top edge) or wad (with a little olive oil). Shot (I do sometimes use BB-gun BB's which are ubiquitous and cheap .177 copper-plated steel shot). Overshot card (which I've been known to use a few-of as an over-powder card).

There was an 18th century how to poam written, that ou can find in gun books, I cant recall the name of it at this time (old timers) but its advice was right on the mark.

CO.Clyde
Thank you. I finally see some mention of lubing tow. I'll be taking possession on my new flint lock fowling gun shortly. Been planning on using powder-tow-brown paper cup-shot-tow for a load. Question. Do you prepare a lube and put it in a tin and then rub the tow on that? Seems perfectly logical.
Getting all itchy to go and shoot some clay birds. Am I setting myself up for disappointment thinking I'll be able to shoot on the wing?
Cheers
RFMcD

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I melt beeswax and olive oil together when it cools it’s a fairly soft mix similar to peanut butter. Purist will say use flax tow but I use dismantled sisal rope. Some use baler twine but I don’t like it because the strands in baler twine are really straight and don’t like to be rolled into a ball very well.
¼ inch sisal rope separates into 3 individual twists, one twist about 8 inches long is usually sufficient. I pull, fold and pinch between thumb and fore- fingers until it forms a relatively uniform ball. Then I give it a drag though the lube kept in a small tin. I then place the ball in my left palm and begin rolling with right palm in a circular motion. This rolls the tow into a tight and well lubed ball ready for loading. Several of these can be done ahead of time. If I use tow for over the shot much less is used and not rolled tight.

There are a lot of different ways to do things; this is just one way I do it.

Back