• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swabbing between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who like to swab between shots what do you put on your patches? I just put a patch on my tongue and lightly moisten it and was wondering if anyone else did the same. I even do the same if I use tow to swab.

Before the ducth papers arrived I used hoppes # 9 sparingly. Now I use the moose milk in the ducth papers. Have had a few stuck requiring drips down the barrel as I have yet to get the hang of just the riht amount.

I do use the peroxide version of moose milk if I am bench shooting, but I am talking more about when I am afield.

oh and Ducth papers? never heard of it ...do tell

If wiping between shots, its either spit or water/dishsoap. If spit lubing or water/dishsoap lubing, there's no need to wipe. Gotta wipe with dry patch ala Dutch. I hunt with dry patch or grease lube and always wipe between.

On the range, a squirt of rubbing alcohol, unless I'm using baby wipes which I sometimes do...

Hunting, I usually use spit...

I'm with nchawkeye. I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol, very lightly moistening the patch. It drys by the time you're ready to dump powder.

Windshield wiper fluid , damp patch swab between shots will keep you shooting all day long hot or cold.
Alcohol,liquid soap and water. The bit of water is important in really hot dry or really cold weather as in both instances the humidity will often be very low.
The alcohol evaporates the water.
The liquid soap is the lube and helps make the fouling soft. Mike D.

I use to be like that but over the past several years I find myself swabing after every shot.
It seems to relax me and set me up for the next shot as well as making loading easier.

I have a refillable squeeze bottle that dispenses by the drop. I use a mix of equal parts pumice-free GoJo and water, with a few drops of dish detergent.

A few drops on a patch and it cuts the fouling, and doesn't leave any residue.

I have a little different take on it.

I'm a hunter first and a range rat last. I absolutely don't want to swab if it's possible to avoid it. I even develop my loads without swabbing, because I don't want to be obligated to swab for followup shots, whether for accuracy or ease of loading. I want a fouled shot to hit as close as possible to the first shot from a clean bore.

That's my goal, but I don't always make it. Occasional swabbing may be required in the field, especially with lots of shooting, whether with a rifle for snowshoe hare or a shotgun for ptarmigan or ducks.

In that world, the best swabbing patch is a "spit" patch, the same ticking I use for shooting lightly moistened in my mouth. My worst guns need a swab after half a dozen shots or so. The best can go all day without.

I don't swab while hunting. At the range, even firing dozens of shots, I never swab unless seating resistance is felt (rare). When I do swab I use a patch dampened with Black Solve followed by a couple of dry ones. A tight load lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube almost guarantees minimal fouling.

Latest posts

Back