• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 gauge percussion shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,
I have a 20 gauge percussion muzzleloader and I would like to find out the origin of the gun. The only markings I can find are "Phillips" on the side plate of both locks and "London" on the top of the barrel rib. It is old, but I have killed doves with it. Thank you for your help.

Jerry

With the utmost respect... That's like saying I have an old car that says "Ford" on it, (and I ran over a dove with it) can you tell me what it is? :grin:

As noted, the key information should be located on the barrel flats, which are the bottom side of the breech end of the barrels. If the gun was proofed in London, the first proof mark would be a Crown over a V. If it has ELG then it was proofed in Liege, Belgium. (London, without a name and address on the rib is often like Le Mans or Grand Prix on a Pontiac.) Phillips could be a maker, or just as likely, the name of the retailer. The serial number and the proof gauge should also be marked on the flats. Original guns may have been honed out or shot out to a different gauge over the years.

Jack Wilson said:
With the utmost respect... That's like saying I have an old car that says "Ford" on it, (and I ran over a dove with it) can you tell me what it is? :grin:
:rotf: Sorry...Jerryjo...but that is quite funny. You have to take humor where you can find it these days. Looking forward to pics.

Welcome to the forum, Jerryjo. :thumbsup:

Some pictures of your gun would help. Read up on how to post pics here by going to the "Using The Forum" forum.

GW

Latest posts

Back