• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recommend me a pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLanoy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any ideas what would be a good .50 percussion pistol to sort of go with my trade style rifle?

If it's your first, don't spend too much. I'd get something like a Lyman belt pistol, or a Traditions Kentucky. My first pistol was a CVA Kentucky .45 that matched my rifle. Lots of fun :grin: Good luck and good shooting, Tree.

Thanks, it will be my first and I'm not looking to spend a lot. Thought there might be an inexpensive production gun to go with the rifle. Just wanted it to be close in period. I looked at the Traditions Kentucky and it is a candidate. :thumbsup:

Tom: That top pistol is a real looker! Percussion and not as fancy would do the trick. Did you build that one?

Traditions is OK
Don't rule out a Pedersoli cap lock pistol
The cva hawken pistol would go well with the rifle (brass furniture) they are out of production but come up about once a month on the on line auctions

The traditions trapper is heavy and clunky but also a possibility

Yes, the top one is my .50 cal. pistol, bbl. by Joe williams, a Cochran lock from the 80's. Other is sons .40 ...Rayl bbl. L&R lock.

FWIW,
Don't personally have any experience with them, but I seem to see a lot of the Lyman pistols on the line at Rondy's around here. They seem to do pretty well.

The Lyman Plains kit is a contender also. I really like the Deer Creek American pistol but, it says it is a level 2. Any idea how hard that would be to put together?

I'm working on one now. just some minor adjustments to some inletting. Lots of sanding, finish the wood and the metal. Not bad. Nice pistols.

Will you PLEASE post a pic of it when you are done?! :grin:

Really leaning toward this one!

I had a cva .50 years ago (with belt clip) that shot touching groups at 25 yds. Would match up close. Thats one I sure miss, built another last year but not NEAR the shooter that one was and it dont have the belt clip.

I found the Lyman pistol stock to be a bit large for my short, stubby fingers. It was a long reach to that trigger! That aside, it shot extremely well.

Ya, that probably would not work well for me as I've got pretty small hands.

I will try to get one up...just got a photobucket acct so now gotta learn to use it. Need to sell a few items.

I have small hands too. The .31 1849 baby dragoon is almost too small, but one of the funnest I shot lately (wont match yer rifle well though!)

www.muzzle-loaders.com/pistols/traditions/traditions-kentucky-pistol-kit.php

Buy this now and you will have no regrets...putting it together is easy and fun, you can custom stain the stock to match your rifle and sand the grip to fit your hand ideally. Mine is the most accurate pistol I own at 50 yards and plenty powerful for deer if legal in your state. Trust me it is a super high quality pistol......and I paid 100 dollars more than that for mine at Cabelas and still consider it a fine deal.....get it now. You will thank me later.

If the link doesn't work, I am highly suggesting the Kentucky Pistol percussion kit in 50 caliber. Imported by Traditions and made in Spain. Barrel shoots well with ball and conicals and you can find them for around 200-250 bucks

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, I am heavily leaning towards the Deer Creek American pistol at Dixie Gun Works. I like the size and looks of the pistol and think it would make a great companion to my rifle. :grin:

Thanks for the tip!

And that one you built is a fine looking pistol! In fact it is what helped me make my decision. :hatsoff:

The Deer Creek pistol is just the latest version of the old CVA Mountain Pistol from the 70'w. After CVA, the original bunch, sold out, Deer Creek picked up the line. Those pistols were well thought of back then and appear to be just as well done now as then. It'll go well with the Trade Gun you have or the Mountain Rifles now showing up used or built from period kits still available. :thumbsup:

Back