• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OK, Q so dumb I'm embarrassed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom deinek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This month y'all have helped me with with wad diameter questions. I went turkey hunting with a .54 smoothbore drop in my TC Hawken as the platform. Dog& I had a great time although we saw no turkeys but instead 1-2M mosquitoes.

I tried using wasp nest for wadding. So,Dumb Q, do you lubricate was nest with grease, saliva or whatever? The idea of using your own spit to revitalize what was once was wasp spit seems 'peculiar'.

Gonna try dog hair wads next. Can't wait for T season opener next year. :>)

Is there something universally accepted as good for lubricating wasp nest or is it just a matter of trial & personal preference?

Seemed kinda nasty / dirty but nest material had no offensive taste.

Doubt I could chew pet hair, even for a favorite fowling piece.

2571, IIRC Dr. Sam Fadala used Hornet's nest between the powder and the PRB to prevent burnout, no lube on nest. I can attest to the superior flavor of Maine Coon cat hair to the more common Egyptian variety, I own both and have tasted both involuntarily many times. :shocked2: :rotf: :thumbsup: Tree.

I'm using the nesting for #4 shot, not rb.

I suspect the wasp nest material is disintegrating as soon as it leaves the muzzle. I wonder if it would be more effective if retained some shape.

:rotf: Just load it dry with the wasp still on it that way you want be worried about where the shot is going Lol :rotf:

smo said:
:rotf: Just load it dry with the wasp still on it that way you want be worried about where the shot is going Lol :rotf:

The shot makes a peculiar buzzing noise downrange when you fire it that way.

That's the fastest that wasp ever traveled till it
hit the target....then no so fast.

I've never used wasp larva for lube. I guess it might work. Don't think I'll recommend it.

A little bit of lubricant on the wad (of whatever material) won't hurt. Dish soap around the edge will help keep fouling under control. Too much liquid of any type can spoil the powder unless an over powder wad is used.

YEARS AGO, when I first started shooting smoothies--just used plain ole toilet paper for wadding. Worked O.K. didn't even lube it & never srarted a fire that I remember. Course I'm way past those days now--much more "so-fist-e-cated" use wads punched from drawing tablet backs.....Keep shooting...Tom

I still use toilet paper at the range, for wadding, OKAY. It does work fine, doesn't smolder and is cheap (if you stay away from Charmin, that is; stuff's expensive compared to bargain brands). Card wads, felt wads, etc are punched by hand but I use wasp nest from time to time as well.

Recipe for wasp nest material.

Build large box frame,
cover with screen material,tightly!
go to hobby store get sheets of colored construction paper,
tear paper in pieces and place in the bottom of the cage,

Find male and female wasps or hornets
Wait~~~~~~~~~ :blah: you will have the purtiest wading at the range :bow:

Back