• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pemmican

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really eat such but I understand that's exactly what they do with "aged beef" from a gent I know whose recent wife owns an upscale very little steak house in town. ...says the meat locker is full of scheduled mold-covered carcasses which maybe you lot are more familiar with than I.

If you take a deer/elk to an old school butcher, when he asks "when do you need this by?"

Try telling him "hang it till you think it's ready to cut." I'll bet he gives you a :wink: and calls you in about 3 weeks.

The last time I did this there were about 10 other hunters in the room. Most wanting there meat within 72 hours he gave them a look that said :slap:

:rotf:

The most tender and tasty meat that you pay high dollar for in the fancy restaurants is aged. It can be wet aged or dry aged. Either way, you have to trim off the outside and cook the inside. If you have ever eaten at one of the Ruth's Chris Steak Houses, you have eaten aged beef. If you have never eaten at a Ruth's Chris Steak House, do yourself a favor and go. Order a good steak and you will know what a properly aged piece of beef tastes like. You won't turn your nose up at one of their steaks unless, of course, you are one of those panty waist vegans or vegetarians. Go on, treat yourself right. :thumbsup:

The original "aged beef" was a "grass-fat" steer that was over 4 years of age, which was then slaughtered and the beef was then aged as it has been described here.
(Hardly anyone today has ever had that sort of GREAT-tasting/REAL aged beef as it's too expensive to feed a steer for that long.)

When our family farm was a "cow-calf" operation years ago, we used to keep an aged steer for FAMILY use. - One for each year's beef.

yours, satx

I ranch for a living, when we butcher, the guy who does it for us always lets the carcass hang for about 2 weeks before cutting it up.

An older neighbor lady used to put up jams and jellies by pouring the juice in a jar and just letting the top mold over---no wax, canning lids, etc. She said the mold would form an air-tight seal over the top of the jar, thus preserving the rest.

Rod

For our local "dress & butcher guy", the secret is:
1. Deliver the steer/hog/lamb on the day that he wants it for slaughter/processing,
(Deer and "exotics" are "accepted for processing" any day but Sunday.)
2. Tell "Josh" how you want the beef, pork, lamb or deer cut & packaged,
3. IF/HOW you want any fresh sausages made/packaged,
4. Whether you want the head/hide/organ meats or not
and
5. NEVER HURRY him.
(Josh has a "real job", too.)

The result is GREAT TASTING beef/pork/lamb/venison, neatly packaged & frozen for the deep freeze and at a GREAT price per pound!

just my opinion, satx

Back