• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New one on the way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm 5-9, one thing about me is my right arm is almost all steel under the skin and the pins and 2 inch long screws that hold me together on both ends of my upper arm don't let me have good motion. And my right eye was knocked out so i have just a little problem getting my sight pattern adjusted to the sights. I can still see out of it kinda alright but i have to be just right to be able to see the front sight in the back grove.

Thanks. Kinda puts the gun in perspective for us. That really is some beautiful rifle. Across the board. Pretty perfect, in .54. They are hefty though...

And you have more than your share of challenges to handle it. I don't have such but am losing more battles than I'm winning these days shooting front-heavy guns offhand.

Well it an't new anymore. I put 25 rounds through it,the book said to use a 535 ball and a .10 patch so thats what i put in it over 80grs ffg. With the .10 patch you dont have much trouble pushing the ball down. I fired and hit the bulls eye at 40 yards but couldn't find nothing but a few threads left of the patch. I loaded the same load over and hit about a 1/2 to the right. Then i tired a few different size pillow ticking .15 to .20 patches to see how they loaded they all stayed together and the shot felt a little stronger but my pattern went to around 4 inches,the rest of the shots i went back to the .10 patch and the group went back to very good but the patches are nothing but a few threads left if that much. I'm going to drop down to 70grs and put some more rounds through it after my son comes home from school.

i'm just busten caps and running rounds through it for now its got some sharp edges in it i need to wear down. some of the thicker patches i used had a couple cuts but not bad for a new barrel. i think i got about 300 or 400 .530 and a few hundred .535 so i will get them all tried out for deer season rolls around.

Thanks,my 15 year old son has already tried to lay claim to it. My wife shot it twice today but had to use the shooting vice. I just wish i would have had the camera in hand. Its so heavy it really doesn't kick but to tell the truth i like my t/c hawken a little better, i think after i get a little more shooting time in with it i might change my mind.

Hey man, no regrets allowed. Especially for that gun and what you got it for.

:nono:

I agree the T/C is a great arm and better in some (many, most?) respects. OK. The new honkin' Hawken is different than the more modern Hawkens for reasons you can appreciate. Just don't tell the "experts" again as they get so annoyed and will tell you you aren't even allowed to compare them... LOL

You can enjoy both. Not all can!

i like looking at an holding the new hawken gun and even shooting it and i know as time goes on i will get it hitting the bulls eye every shot. the t/c hawkens and renegades have just been a part of me for so long and are so deadly accurate its going to be a journey to learn this new type gun but a fun one. I'm off work today and plan on shooting another 20 or so shots.

Back