• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock lumber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I received a stock blank yesterday and I have a couple issues with it.

It is not quarter sawn which I guess I could live with but the grain couldn't be more wrong in my opinion.The grain in the forearm sections from bottom to top going forward goes , 9 degrees upward towards the top and will cross the forearm section every 4 3/4 inches(if the forearm is 1" high) which would be great at the wrist but it flattens out and goes parallel with the barrel area at the wrist.
A lot of work goes into the stocks as you men know better that I.
Sure wouldn't won't it to break after all that work.
I won't say where it came from. don't want to trash anyone when it could be me that's wrong.

Tell me, the inexperieced what you think

Thanks

Jack

Having the grain parallel with the barrel (or aligned with the length of the stock) through the wrist area is a good thing, that adds to the strength.
The reality of the long rifles forearm is that's really just there to hold the thimbles for the ramrod, and/or just for looks. The barrel actually supports and holds the wood,, the forearm does not support the barrel at all.

If you can, :photoSmile: to help identify any problem areas.

:thumbsup: The more vulnerable and weaker areas are the entry pipe, and lock and wrist, particularly the lock and wrist. If the grain is good there then you're good to go. The forearm is supported by the barrel and barrel lugs / pins. Lots of originals had a fair amount of grain runout on the wrist. In normal use and care you shouldn;t have much problem even it there is runout. If you are careless or use it as a club to fight Indians you might, so don't do that! :doh:

If your un-happy with the pick~by all means, contact the seller and ask for a different blank.
it probably is ok, but sounds like you aren't satisfied at the beginning~

Never ask a girl that you don't like to a dance...cause if she says yes....you STILL aren't gonna like danceing with her! :idunno:

Quarter sawn blanks are very expensive and if you didn't order and pay for one..... you're not going to get one.

Ideally, the grain in the forestock should run parallel w/ the bbl and when approaching the lock area, should start it's downward curve through the wrist and then straighten out some and run straight to the butt.. Haven't seen many blanks that fit that description....so, some compromises have to be accepted.

Seeing that not receiving a quarter sawn blank is your first complaint and by the way, is that what you ordered and if not, don't let that "cloud" your judgement of the entire blank.

I used to buy only quarter sawn blanks and in fact, the first 4 LRs I built had quarter sawns, but discontinued buying them because of the high prices.

A little angled grain in the forestock is "normal" when buying most blanks.

I like a little grain running through the wrist, but there are many finished guns that don't have it. Again...how much did you pay for the blank...which might explain a few things.....Fred

Thanks guys, I'll probably keep it. Probably good enough for this amature.

Jack

When I'm a great builder I will spring for 1/4 sawn blanks.

As long as I can get the grain running well through the wrist area I'm generally pretty happy.

I cut my own blanks from boards (usually 8/4 or 10/4, 5 feet long and at least 9" wide) so can jig my pattern to get the grain the way I like (and can often get two blanks from one board).

However, that does result in a great deal of "waste wood" - buying a precut "blank" does restrict you somewhat but there is still usually enough wood that you can move your pattern a little up/down or tilt it a bit to get a reasonable orientation.

That is why "gunstock blanks" seem expensive at first glance - someone has "wasted" all the wood that you "didn't buy", but some of that cost is obviously transferred on to you.

I like picking though the pile of boards at the specialty lumber place, I feel I get a better stock in the end - but it's more time and more waste - but if you are particular, it's definitely the way to go if you have a source within reasonable driving distance.

Given that hard maple generally has the center portion of the tree in dark heartwood, to get a fully quarter-sawn 9" blank would require about a 28" tree! I didn't think they grew that big.

I use primarily domestic (Ontario) Red Maple.

Grows 75' high and typically 24" diameter when harvested.

Yes, you get some dark (heartwood), which I don't mind - like the look and choose pieces with a mix if available.

But I still buy flat sawn @ 9.00/bf compared with 13.50/bf for the only supplier of 1/4 or rift sawn curly Red (I typically buy 7.5 bf for a 42" barreled rifle).

Sounds like a "kings tree" :shocked2:
So, what is the lumber yards name? It must be a local, not a chain?
I have tried to get the local Amish sawmill to save me a maple....but, with best intentions, he cut me a maple.....but it has more brown than white! And I believe a silver maple, probably a yellow!!! :(
So~ dunlaps woods gets a phone call from me ever so often :surrender: :grin:
Marc

Two hours drive in either direction and I come across specialty lumber places.

Carry just about every domestic lumber type and many "exotics".

In maple I can get silver, red or sugar in 8/4, 10/4 or 12/4.

Can get plain, curly, spalted, quilted, roasted.

Also Cherry and American Walnut.

Boards under 7' long are considered "shorts" and sell at a discount as do any of the curly stock that includes heartwood.

It's good to live amongst millions of acres of hardwoods :grin:

can you see curl in rough sawn lumber? I've tried and really can't very easily. Still, there is something appealing to going out in the woods and starting your gun from a living tree that you cut down yourself.

It's even better if the tree is on someone's land that you don't like! :blah:

Back