• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 vs .40 cal rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greebe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am still dreaming of owning a small bore rifle. Still need to decide on caliber.

Which small bore rifle do your prefer, .36 or .40, and why?

Thanks,
Greebe

Thanks. We are moving to our farm in MN this summer and it looks like .40 cal is the min legal for deer. However I have a .54cal that can get used for deer.

I am mostly looking for something just fun to shoot and easy on lead and powder. This is where the .36 I think would be nice. I would also like to use it on small game such as rabbit, squirrel, and grouse.

I have owned a couple of 32s and have a custom 40 or order. I will buy another 32. I don't think it really matters what cal you buy. Keep in mind the small the hole the heavier the barrel (if same OD). Just get one and have fun.

The reason I went with a .36 is easier to find lead balls at a sporting goods store (was looking for a .32 at the time), but this was years ago. Go to one and see what they have. If you cast your own, you're good to go!

would go the .40 ... after you work up a good load, get a mold and cast your own ... it's fun and it will save you a boatload of money ...

one guy's opinion ... free and doubtless well worth the price!

Depends entirely on what you plan to do with it. If you have a .54, I'd recommend the .36 for varmints and critters. Personally, I'm not sold on the .40 as a minimum deer caliber. Yes, lots of guys use it with success but I've seen some spectacular failures on deer. This does't reflect on the abilities on anyone posting here since I've never hunted with any of them. The absolute worse case I've ever dealt with was a knothead who shot at 4 different deer since none fell dead at the shot. This is pretty off the wall but I helped yank him from the tree stand and trailed wounded deer for 4 days! Personal take is enough ball to do the job unless you have a really good feel for deer anatomy and rifle capabilities. Guess it sort of soured me on the .40 caliber for deer. Sadly, this schmutz isn't the only one I've run across.

.36 because i can't use a 40 for deer here (probably wouldn't anyway, like my .45 and .62 smoothie too much for this)and can't use it for small game legally, max of .36 and round ball only.

Know your game laws.

I love my .40. Just load it back for small game. It is fiddly enough, I can't imagine smaller roundballs and ramrod. I believe less fowling issues than smaller bores plus if I see something bigger I want to dong while hunting small game a well placed shot will do it.

I will have to agree with Wes/Tex,use the right caliber for what your huntin.I do like 32.36.and 40 caliber rifles.In colder temps the smaller balls are harder to hang on to un less you use a loadin block (which I do any time im huntin).Buy quality stuff and you wont regret it.JMHO Curt

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem wasn't the calibrr of gun used. It was the caliber of slob shooting it.

40 is my choice. Does it all.

:thumbsup: Another vote for the 38!

You can use the 36 cal (.370 and .375 diameter) RB's that available for all those `51 Navy pistols. About $3.00 per 100 last I saw.

40 - legal for deer in quite a few places as well as small game

40 - can use a 3/8" ramrod

The 3/8 ramrod is a pretty good point!

You can download .40 to a really light load and still take rabbits... you can't stretch the caliber of the .36 (even if you used conicals) to be legal for deer. Now not every state allows a .40 as some require a minimum of .45, but I don't recall any state that allows .36 for deer.

It's great that you have a .54 for deer..., but if for some reason you get a mainspring or a sear break... if you have a .36 you are out of the venison harvesting business until you get a part, BUT if you have a .40 where it's legal, you are still good to go.

LD

[quote=Loyalist Dave I don't recall any state that allows .36 for deer.

I would opt for the .36, (the .36 is legal to hunt deer in Tennessee). I would only use the .36 on deer if I had a close shot, around 20 yards, preferably a head shot. The limit on does, here, is three per day. You all ready have the .54, which is one of the most inherently accurate calibers, for deer, and the .36 is such a hoot to shoot, pun intended. If you don't cast your own, 00 buck is readily available, and cheap. You will find your self shooting more, with the .36, simply because it is so much fun, and your powder and lead will go a lot farther. I have a .32, and it gets shot a lot more often than my .50 or .54 :stir: Robin

Latest posts

Back