• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weekend Turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Saturday Turkey
Saturday's bird has become a real friend of mine, I got after him the first two weekends and luckily he found a way to stay alive until yesterday morning. I know folks will guess as to how I know its the same bird, well it is, I just know it. I was pleasantly surprised to hear his loud mouth yesterday morning as I got out of the truck @ 5:45. I was actually late getting their. Anyway I quickly got a new ridge that I dont usually call him on. He usually has a lot of hens with him and it has been pointless trying to wait him out, I have even stayed late in the evening a couple of times to ambush him on the way to his roost. Anyway he answered my soft clucks and tree call, and gobbled on the ground a while. he eventually went away from me towards a hunting club, I had seen a truck there that morning and I knew they were hearing all the gobbling, at one time he must have been answering a hunters calls I expected to hear a shot at anytime. He was gobbling at everything. I just stayed put clucking every now and then. Eventually he started back my way and then went silent for the next hour. At about 9 he decided to go check on the tree call he heard earlier and appeared to my left and walked right across into an opening giving me a 25 yd shot. His beard was very thin, a lot had been shot out earlier this year. Probably gave him even more reasons to be cautious and not to trust hens that dont come to him. What was left of it was 8 inches, he weighed 18 lbs, he has been busy, and had 1 inch spurs. 66 caliber, 70 g FF, one over powder card, 90 grain measure of #6 shot, two over shot cards. I forgot my priming horn and had to prime with 2FF, no problem what so ever.

Sunday jake
This guy and his brother came down the edge of a pasture. I was back in the woods but he didnt like the looks of me. He was very leery and the only shot he gave me was a wide open 35 yds. The #6 shot flattened him and destroyed the big wing bone in the process. I am constantly amazed at what you can do with a smooth bore, when you work up the right load. I heard several gobblers this morning 4-5 maybe. A couple of them I have already chased this year. They are travelers. We can hunt until May 11 in TN I am hoping with the hens starting to nest maybe one of them will be chasing me next weekend. I get a bonus day to hunt this Thursday as well.

looks like a good weekend.Chased birds here in Missouri have one more week to hunt them. Last weekend called in 4 but no shots for the little 28 ga. This weekend no takers heard gobbling but all seem like they had other plans. Congrats--Pappy

Looks like you're getting it done for sure, congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Our season ends Saturday the 10th...looks like I'll be able to go 4 more times...still trying to fill the other tag

Good job! So glad to see the great results our gang is having this spring!! :thumbsup:

Wow, great weekend to be sure! Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us. :hatsoff:

Congrats to ya Tony. Your gonna wear the frizzen out on that 16 ga at this rate :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Wattlebuster, I think my frizzen is going to be alright. I can see only shooting it one more time this spring, its over Sunday. Unless its at a coke can at 30 yards just to watch it go off and count the holes in it. (red coke cans are nice turkey head targets) I have shot it more this spring than I ever have. I really only use the gun for turkeys. I was really surprised at how the 2ff Goex worked in the pan. I have always used 3F or 4F, and would have tried NullB if I had access to it.

Back