• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1857 Tower

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooly15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
First off, thanks for having me here at the forums and I hope you guys can help me out. I recently purchased an 1857 Tower marked (former) rifle now smoothbore musket. I've been digging around the internet for days trying to figure out a little background on it. When I bought it, I assumed it was an Afghanistan bringback, pakistani copy. When I looked closer the markings were too "neat" compared to the others like that I've seen. I forgot to get pictures before reassembly, but under the barrel it is marked "DEARS" or "DEART", "C&G", "17" and also hash marks. The proof marks on the left side of the barrel have long since been cleaned or sanded away but there are faint marks. The ramrod looks like it was made by a kindergartner! Anyway, my most current assupmtion is that it's a British made rifle, bored out, and issued to Indian troops during the insurrection. Can anyone add any insight?
Thanks in advance,
Adam
IMG_0240_zps88bb59f7.jpg

IMG_0248_zpsfbd5c551.jpg

IMG_0250_zpsfb88acba.jpg

IMG_0249_zpscb67067f.jpg

IMG_0241_zps3df18f88.jpg

IMG_0247_zps437da547.jpg

IMG_0251_zps799348b5.jpg

IMG_0252_zpscca7be3f.jpg

Welcome.

Nice gun actually.

Can't tell you more than that, by tradition, you need to lube its bullets with beef tallow and bacon grease.

; )

One would need to see every single stamp on the barrel (close ups )the lock inside and out ,post the photos on the British flint and precusion forum and you will get a very detailed reply . :)
From your posted photos it is hard to judge but there could be promise there(marks on the bottom of the barrel and look all over the stock as well)

The myth about the Enfield cartridges and the bullet lube as the cause of the Indian mutiny in 1857 is what Alden is refering to , he can be a joker at times :) :)

Looks like an Enfield M.1853, thought the forward barrel band and rear sight don't look original. I'm certainly no expert on English rifles, may be small points I'm overlooking . Do know Atlanta Cutlery is peddling a boat load of 19th centuries English rifles and muskets found in an armory in Burma or somewhere over there. Ought to be able to get a ramrod replacement from them. Good luck.

1601phill said:
The myth about the Enfield cartridges and the bullet lube as the cause of the Indian mutiny in 1857 is what Alden is refering to , he can be a joker at times :) :)

1. The actual lubricant was mutton tallow - the rumours were spread by disaffected of both religious pursuasions.

2. It was not until after 'The Mutiny' that most Indian native troops were issued with smooth-bore versions of the Pattern 53 rifled musket - many already had been issued with the previous model that was a smooth-bore.

tac

I looked the stock over and there are no markings. There are very faint marks on of the barrel bands and inside the trigger guard. I will try and post pics of those and under the barrel this evening.

"C&G" could be the Birmingham barrel makers Cooper & Goodman.

I can't trace DEARS/T

David

tac said:
many already had been issued with the previous model that was a smooth-bore.

That could explain why my musket with the fixed rear sight has a lock dated 1855, two years before the Sepoy rebellion :thumbsup:

Wes/Tex said:
Looks like an Enfield M.1853, thought the forward barrel band and rear sight don't look original. I'm certainly no expert on English rifles, may be small points I'm overlooking . Do know Atlanta Cutlery is peddling a boat load of 19th centuries English rifles and muskets found in an armory in Burma or somewhere over there. Ought to be able to get a ramrod replacement from them. Good luck.

The forward band is correct. Looks like a P53/1. Some were imported here during the CW, but most of those we see are P53/3's. Are there band springs on the right side holding the bands in place?

Then it is a Pattern 53 2nd Model. I got a little mixed up when I posted earlier. The First Model had clamping type bands. They changed to spring held bands on this model, then back to clamped bands on the third model. Production began on the 2nd Model in 1855.

I have been following your other posts , that will be powder ,remove the barrel and fill it up with hot soapy water to soften the old charge , if it does not come out after a couple of goes with water fill it up with a liquid like 3 in 1 oil and let it sit and try again .Keep that wading and shot by the way .

1601phill said:
I have been following your other posts , that will be powder ,remove the barrel and fill it up with hot soapy water to soften the old charge , if it does not come out after a couple of goes with water fill it up with a liquid like 3 in 1 oil and let it sit and try again .Keep that wading and shot by the way .

Just in case you guys were wondering what he's talking about. Last night, I noticed the ramrod was hitting something soft when I slid it down the barrel. My first thought was "oh s***, it's still loaded!" I borrowed a friends unloader and pulled this out. The powder is still there and judging by the look of the wad and shot, it's very old. Was it common for these to be used as shotguns after their military career?
image_zpsfe6c3eea.jpg

Many, many American Civil War muskets were "converted" to smoothbores in the decades following the war. The P53 Enfield was quite common here in the US. Without Indian or other "acceptance" marks, don't assume it is not an ACW artifact. Bannermans and several other hardware chains offered these for as low as $3.00 to folks who needed a versatile inexpensive firearm. As a boy in the 50s I saw a lot of these in "country" hardware stores for sale for $10-20. When I was working at my County's museum I saw hundreds of these brought in to identify, and most were still loaded. There are a few companies that will re-line the barrel for you and convert it back into a rifle that is safe to shoot.

Back