• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Throwing Knife for Rendezvous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmills

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am needing to get a throwing knife for Rendezvous. I might make one, but if I need to get one from a commercial source, does anyone have any recommendations or guidance.

Several online choices:

Dixie
Springfield Leather
H&B Forge
TOW (but out of stock)

Any thoughts on any of the above (or others) will be appreciated.

Of course, I would prefer to handle one before purchase, but I know of no one local who would carry any such knives, except Cabelas and their version gets very poor recommendations.

Thank you.

LaBonte said:
Check these out - Ron is a champion knife thrower as well as a bow man
http://www.shrewbows.com/championthrowingknives/index.html

not the cheapest, but as a kinemaker myself I know these are of the best quality to last a life time or more

Beg to differ - I've known several folks that had these and they are pure de ole Paki made crapola and didn't last a season of throwing - bent, broke, etc.

others mileage may vary...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why buying on the internet is always risky.

I am leaning toward the Crazy Crow throwing knife advertized as made in the USA.

I recently made my own from a small scrap of flat bar mild steel, shaping it with a 4 inch angle grinder, ending up about 13 inches long, 1.5 inch wide, and my 3 little boys and I all used it at this spring's rendezvous and in the backyard. Nuthin fancy, but it works pretty well.

Old Virginia Joe said:
I recently made my own from a small scrap of flat bar mild steel, shaping it with a 4 inch angle grinder, ending up about 13 inches long, 1.5 inch wide, and my 3 little boys and I all used it at this spring's rendezvous and in the backyard. Nuthin fancy, but it works pretty well.

I am thinking about that also, but I am really pressed for free time this spring.

Can you post a picture of yours?

The H&B Forge throwing knife is on my want list. Ever since a buddy let me throw his some last fall.

The first H&B knife I owned was back in the 1970's. Will take a good edge and withstand a lot of abuse. And the handles are easily replaceable. After many years, I finally lost it in the woods somewhere.
Purchased a second one in the early 1990's, but misplaced that one and still can't find it. :haha:
So I'm on my third one. I still like this knife. Rick. :hatsoff:

Jethro224 said:
The H&B Forge throwing knife is on my want list. Ever since a buddy let me throw his some last fall.

You can't go wrong with H&B products.
But, save yer money, don't buy a throwing knife. :shocked2:
It's impossible to throw knives at a target and make them stick. I know, I have tried it. :redface: :rotf:

Jethro224 said:

I like the look of the H&B knfe. I like the sound of the guarantee that it will not break or bend. It's not that much more cost than a Crazy Crow and online stores.

I guess I also need a guarantee that it will not get lost in the woods and that it can be made to stick. :rotf:

Make one yourself. Easy to do.
The knife in the center and all of those on the right are homemade. The center knife is one of two and is a great thrower.
Made from 1/4 inch mild steel from the hard ware store, a grinder to shape, a file to put an edge on. Nails peened on washers to hold the leather scales. I had some thick leather from another project.
This is why there is so much tape on the scales:

Pete

Thanks for the photos. Do you harden your blades or leave soft. I think leave soft to bend and not break.

dmills said:
Thanks for the photos. Do you harden your blades or leave soft. I think leave soft to bend and not break.

My experience is a high quality blade is not necesary for competition throwing. Size and weight are main factors. A blade too hard can easily break on impact. Downside to a 'springy' blade is danger to bystanders. A blade that doesn't hit right can fly wildly in unpredictable directions. Safety measures are as important with knife/hawk throwing as on the shooting range. These are not passive instruments.

I broke the tip off a nice hunting knife I threw in an oak- as a young'n. Dixie Gun Works sells throwing knives with leather scales.

I'm with Jack Wilson on this one. Inexpensive Crazy Crow throwing knives last and throw just fine. That said, H & B knives are great and I like the weight and balance they offer but I still don't own one. I'm a cheap sonnova gun and still carry the same inexpensive throwing knife that I bought about 15 years ago. I have a second cheap thrower that someone was going to toss into the trash because it had been run over by a vehicle. I pounded it flat again and replaced the missing leather scales and still throw it today too.

I had an old "Bowie" similar to this, that I had had as a kid. I removed the handle, riveted some leather slabs on it and have been throwing it ever since. No need to buy a special "throwing" knife. Anything with a straight handle and some weight works for me. And, it can still be used as it was originally intended.

MSSOLBW0021.1L.jpg

No. I do not harden the blades. Unnecessary. And the blades are 1/4" thick. They do not bend. As noted, size and weight (and balance) are most important. It is way easier to throw a heavy knife than a light one. Most of those knives pictured are at least a foot long.
They don't even have to be sharp. They just have to stick.

Back