• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibbs good shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gianluca.....Start shooting at least 10 shot groups. Sometimes groups start to open up due to fouling or bedding problems after 5-7 shots. You need to know if this is going to happen, and if it does, what you are going to do to fix the problem. Cheers Paul
Picture008.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg

paulab said:
Gianluca.....Start shooting at least 10 shot groups. Sometimes groups start to open up due to fouling or bedding problems after 5-7 shots. You need to know if this is going to happen, and if it does, what you are going to do to fix the problem. Cheers Paul

Theoretically fouling in the barrel do not accumulate in the event that no shot wad or filler, because i clean up at the bottom of the barrel with a patch wet and then dry.
When i use wad and filler there is a problem, why do not you ever clean the part of the barrel where there is powder, so every 15 shots with the brush wand to eliminate incrustations.

Wiping between shots is critical. I use 2 damp patches followed by a dry patch after firing. The amount of fouling left after firing depends on the type of powder and how much you use, the humidity, what and how much cleaning solution you put on the patch, how dry the bore is after the dry patch etc. etc.
In the matches I shoot in, you are allowed 4 sighting shots followed by 10 shots for score in 30 minutes......or 4 sighters and 15 shots for score in 45 minutes. You don't have any extra time for a thorough bore cleaning so you have to find out what works well and takes up a minimum of time. Next time you go to the range, try 14 shots in 30 minutes and you'll see what I mean. It's hectic but fun. I usually finish with about a minute to spare.
When you start shooting at 200 meters and farther, you really start to understand what wind can do to a bullet. Sometimes it will drive you crazy. cheers Paul

BillinOregon said:
Gianluca, my understanding is this is a problem in much of Europe. A friend in Belgium only gets to shoot at long range when he travels to Bisley in Britain.

Yup, we have LOTS of long ranges here in mainland UK.

The longest range we shoot on is in South Wales - at 4000 metres - ANYTHING you can have here, you can shoot there.

I'm only 20 miles from a 1200 yard range, and eight miles from an 800 yard range.

Thetford Chase ranges, a bit east from me, has a couple of 1000 yard, 800 and 600 yard ranges, too.

And of course, there's Diggle Ranges in Cumbria - they are something else...oh, and Scotland, too, a couple of 2500m ranges there worth shooting on.

Many long ranges - more than most European countries, I'd guess.

tac

I'm using a .450 diameter postell style bullet cast at 24:1 and lubed with alox. A platinum lined nipple is mandatory. The rear sight is from Lee Shaver. The original sight that came with the Gibbs is "adequate", but the Shaver sight allows finer adjustments. When you get the Gibbs M/L tuned in, it will deliver groups as good as a black powder ctg. rifle. cheers Paul

I tried three times the same charge at 100 meters and these are the results

six shots
2z9i5gn.jpg

eight shots
r73fkj.jpg

four shots
20f5e28.jpg

Then today i tried to 200 meters, which would be your about 220 yards the first test five hits (two of which are in the same hole) went slightly to the right
259kbk9.jpg

the second time I made ”‹”‹the center with four shots
2pzclt3.jpg

I am very satisfied, unfortunately in the race gave eight minutes of time and i could not do more, but Saturday and Sunday i want to go back and try to 500 meters (547 yards).

can you measure from center to center of your farthest shots? that will give us an idea on your true group size.

You stated that you are using pure lead. You might try 20/1 lead/tin or as hard at 16/1.

Might not notice too much difference at the shorter range that you will at the longer range.

Fleener

very good, thank for taking the time to do that. with the exception of the one flyer, you are right at or very close to minute of angle.

Fleener

Custom bullet mold, like a Miss Universe with fishnet stockings and miniskirt underarm.
This is a bullet mold nose pour molds adjustable to make patched bullets manufactured by KAL Tool & Die - Canada
akfntc.jpg

This a good shot
20k2gz.jpg

Not, bad..... how many meters? I like you mold.

If you plan on shooting longer ranges you might want to play with a harder bullet if you don't have good accuracy. For my paper patch I am using 16:1 lead/tin. Something to try if you are not getting good results at 500 plus yards

Fleener

The shooting was done at 110 yards, will try again to check the consistency, with the addition of tin I have not had good results even with hard doses of powder

well each rifle seems to like different things. You certainly are on the right track with accuracy and trying different things.

Now you just need to come to the USA and shoot with us!

Fleeer

Perhaps a Govt grant to study the effects of transatlantic flight on muzzleloading shooting? :idunno: Could work, Iv'e seen more dumb use of money from the powers that be :rotf:

is your bullet paper bunched up on the bottom? or is it like this?

Fleener

Back