• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Cherokee.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me today and said a gentleman he works with has a T/C Cherokee that he would get rid of. He knew my son was wanting to buy his own rifle so he called me. I haven't looked at it but it is a 50 caliber and he also has 45 caliber barrel as well. He told me to shoot him a price after I looked at it if I wanted it. If it's in good shape what would a gun like this be worth? And how hard would it be to find a stock for the 45?

I've never seen a 50 cal Cherokee. The usual is 32 or 45. The barrels are only 13/16. If it is in real good shape it sounds like $300 to $400.

That's what I thought as well. Did they make a 45 Renegade?

no 50cal Cherokees or 45cal Renegades. most likely it's a Hawken instead of Cherokee. dependin' on condition it could be worth anywhere from 100 bucks to 3 or 4 times that. again dependin' on condition the extra barrel could add another 100 or so. auction sites such as evil-bay or gunbroker along with classifieds on muzzleloader sites such as this one would be places to look for a stock assembly for the extra barrel. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Never heard of a 50 cal Cherokee. So it either isn't a 50 cal barrel or it is a Hawken. either way if the price is right it would be worth getting. Never seen the 45 cal Cherokee or Seneca rifles to shoot as well as a TC Hawken. In 32 or 36 those Cherokee and Seneca rifles are very nice.

It is Cherokee. Came with a 45 barrel, and the guy bought a green mountain 50 prb barrel after that .

If I get another stock for it does it have to be a Cherokee stock? It will be for the 45 barrel.

a Cherokee barrel will also fit a Seneca stock if you cut about 1&1/2 inches off of the underrib.

house said:
If I get another stock for it does it have to be a Cherokee stock? It will be for the 45 barrel.

It depends upon the size of the bbl, across-the-flats.

Cherokee/Seneca barrels (13/16") are thinner than Hawken/Renegade bbls (15/16" & 1") - and the respective stocks have different size barrel channels, making a hammer lineup with the nipple a variable.

What size is the barrel you need a stock for ?

I am not totally sure. I haven't gotten the gun yet, but he shot me a price and I still need to look at it. He said the 45 was shot only a few times and then he bought the green mountain for it. I would guess it is stock size. My friend that works with the gentleman who has it says he is a straight shooter. I'm relying on his word.

Seneca and Cherokee barrels are 13/16 across the flats, that is .812 and a 50 cal. is 1/2 inch or .500. If you subtract .500 from .812, that is .312. Half of that is on the top and half on the bottom and sides etc. That means the wall thickness is .156 That is pretty thin at the dove tail front sight and screws for rear sight and under rib. It just don't add up.

hadden west said:
Seneca and Cherokee barrels are 13/16 across the flats, that is .812 and a 50 cal. is 1/2 inch or .500. If you subtract .500 from .812, that is .312. Half of that is on the top and half on the bottom and sides etc. That means the wall thickness is .156 That is pretty thin at the dove tail front sight and screws for rear sight and under rib. It just don't add up.

I agree. The math just doesn't add up to anything but a pipe bomb. Green Mountain lists .40 and .45 cal. in 13/16" barrels, not .50. The Seneca stock is also pretty slender as I recall. I don't think I'd want to hammer it to pieces with a .50 caliber barrel. If the guy opened up the barrel channel to fit a 7/8" GM .50 cal. it's going to be kind of sloppy for the .45.

Something just isn't sounding right with this deal. :nono:

house said:
It is Cherokee. Came with a 45 barrel, and the guy bought a green mountain 50 prb barrel after that .

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it. Sounds like a Cherokee (which is a .45 cal.) and an extra barrel (.50 cal.) has been thrown in on the deal. It wouldn't be to difficult to pick up a stock for that extra barrel.

hadden west said:

.156 wall thickness, then you subtract depth of the grooves, say .012 leaves you .144 then you subtract dovetail or screw holes. Its not too thin for dove tails, lots of "B" weight .50 cal's out there with .812 at the muzzle for front sights. Its how deep any screw holes is what would worry me. What I wouldn't like is, the barrel being that thin at the breech for the pressure that a .50 caliber can create.

I think you ought to take a look at it and see exactly what it is and what condition it's in, then decide. I think $300.00 - $500.00 for one in good condition is reasonable.

I bought a Seneca in .45 caliber a few years ago for $275.00. I don't think it had ever been fired, but it had been hanging on somebody's wall for a couple of decades and there was no box, manual, or accessories. However, rust was minor, and I like the brass a little tarnished, anyway. It cleaned up nicely.

Notchy Bob

I think you are right on, about the pressure curve. Black powder rifles, have a high pressure spike, at the breech, then the pressure falls off sharply.

The guy sent me a picture of it today and it looks like a Hawken to me. Should get it maybe even by tonight. I hope it is!

Back