• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

H.E.Leman project build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, a question. Prolly a not so bright one (AKA....dumb :shake: ) but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

In this photo, I have the top of my flash pan level with the barrel as the barrel rest in the stock:

Lemanlock2_zps2d14c51f.jpg

Now, as you can see the entire lock is at a tilt that is un-fixable no matter how much wood I scrap off the stock.

So, in this picture, I simply align (by eye) the lock with the stock (prior to any much needed finish carving of course)

Lemanlock_zpse71317e6.jpg

Now, I can't have (well...I could....but...) the lock looking all doofus mounted like the top pic shows, and so I have to mount it like the second pic shows. I guess I somehow just need someone to tell me "it's OK Dave.....just do it!! :doh:

Other than that, I have to remove more wood in the barrel channel...about 3\4" to get the flash hole back to where I need it. But....I suppose that's what happens when the builder (aka me) chooses to use a barrel that already has the flash hole drilled.

Dave

PS...project is going slow as my sister was in a pretty severe vehicle accident and I've been busy attending to her matters. Fortunately She is recovering and all will be well....but it will take a good 3 months for her.

The front of the lock is too low in the 1st pic & too high in the 2nd. Concentrate on the bottom line of the lock and the bottom line of the stock profile. I'd say somewhere in the middle of your 2 pictures would look better.
I'm no expert but I certainly like to think I am.

Thanks Keb. I kind of just tossed the lock plate there for the second pic as I have to move back the barrel first, so I'm not at the point for serious inletting of the lock yet.

I know my question was rather amateur, but the left side of my brain just refused to connect with the right side.

I appreciate your response.

Dave

You need to get the front lock bolt
just under the barrel and above the ramrod
hole. That's a good point of aim. While also
lining up the flash hole.

Latest posts

Back