• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

An Efficient Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished shooting my relatively new Tip Curtis .45 cal. flint rifle in the front yard (and believe me, I know how lucky I am to be able to say that), and was impressed with the authority with which powder charges as small as 35 grains of fffg knocked down the heavy falling plates. Upping the charge to 50 grains showed some real smack down. This was at ranges of 35 to 70 yards. I haven't had a .45 since the 1970's, and had forgotten what a wonderful caliber this is, and the power it generates with low recoil. I have used as much as 70 grains and know this is as much as I will ever need for any target or game shooting I plan on doing.

When the .40 caliber was all the rage a few years ago I decided on a .45 for my new target rifle and have never regretted the decision. Mike D.

A large number of deer have fallen to my .45 flint L. Lancaster and a couple of other .45s, a Mike Lange percussion and an H&A underhammer. Excellent choice for a one caliber shooter.

Just built a FS Leman with a 1 inch 35 .54 barrel. Fired about 35 shots getting it sighted. Wound up with an 80 grain 3f .526 and a .0015 patch. The guns got that cresent shaped butt that fits good to my upper arm. Fore stock is thin and butts about 1.5 inchs wide. I have a large cheek plate. Its no lightwt gun how ever. That dirty old man father time has been playing tricks on me however. Things that would have not bothered me a few years ago now causes me a might bit of trouble. By the time I got home my sholder felt like father time was doing river-dance on it...and hes a fat boy.
Thinking about a new SMR, thinking about a .45.

I have been wanting a .45 Kentucky, Southern mountain rifle, or at least some other kind of well balanced flint longrifle design in that caliber for a long time now.

I really can't afford some of the nicer rifles being mentioned, but have been looking at the Pedersoli kits.

I always hear about the fun of squirrel hunting with a .32 long rifle design.

The .45 just seems like a nice caliber in two ends of a hunting rifle spectrum of between .32 and .58 caliber.

From what I understand, it can be used for small game with light loads, on up to deer sized game with more powder added.

So I am guessing a .45 caliber rifle might be a good compromise of economy and power for efficiency.

The .45 is an almost all-around caliber. Great for small game, target work and hunting up to deer. For deer I use 65 gr. of real bp and it is effective up to 100 yards. I have three rifles in that caliber.

I think that the 45cal is a great all around gun. I have 4 and they have taken many whitetails here in Maine. Lots of small game. You can shoot all day without getting beat up. Relatively cheap to shot.and lots of FUN to boot :2

Mine prefers 65 grains of 3F Goex, .018 patch and .445 ball.
Mine cut patches for the first 100-150 rounds when it was new but doesn't any more and will give you anything you can hold for out to the 100 yards I have competed with it in. Mike D.

Recoil has a lot to do with weight.

I just purchased a kit with a 13/16th's barrel. You see a lot of 15/16ths 45 cal guns too.

My thin barreled 45 percussion has more recoil with 40 grains FFFg than my 54 does with 60 grains FFFg. The 45 is very noticeably lighter too.

I love my 54 cal for hunting, but it can sure gobble up a horn of powder quickly. A box of 100 balls for her is $20 too.

For many shooters the .45 is the tipping point of recoil though others, including myself, don't find noticeable the modest (just me) recoil. A light .50 with a deeply curved butt plate does begin to be noticeable with heavier charges. Most agree the .40 is a pipsqueak even if they still feel the "kick" from a .45.

My newest rifle is in .45 and is by far my favorite caliber for the reasons you state and also trajectory reasons out to 100 yards. I shoot squirrel with 30gr of FFFg and deer with 70gr of FFFg and target shoot with 50gr FFFg. I just love what that .440 ball can do.

Those three charges that you mentioned are the exact same ones that are looking like the ones I will end up settling on, after quite a bit of experimentation.

.433 is a much easier mold to find.

Arte you looking to cut down a touch of weight to save on lead or recoil? This is a real small margain here.

Latest posts

Back