• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Season Evacuation??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Yesterday was our opening day and I was out in the woods soon as I could make it. I set up in two different locations over the course of the morning. Not one gobble; not one cluck; not one turkey. And I heard only one (1) shot all morning long. Were they all evacuated before the season opener? I'll be out some more, though, and have two other areas I have permission to hunt on.

I didnt hear anything on our opening day either Hanshi. Keep on swinging an sooner or later you'll connect :thumbsup:

If that's the case then I'm due. Our season opened March 15. I've been out 10 times and have only had one hen come walking by. One gobbler was teasing me for 10 minutes one morning and that was it. :td:

Turkey hunting is for the insane anyway :youcrazy: I've been called crazy for getting up at 3:30 am when I dont have too to try an make a bird do something that is against his nature which is come to the hen an sometimes go days an never hear a gobble or cluck but then when it finally happens the very ones that say Im crazy say well ya got lucky. I dont think its luck :idunno: Im gonna call it persistence. So if its season, go and get out there cause he aint gonna walk up and knock on your door

I used to get discourage when I didn't hear a lot of turkeys gobbling but that mindset has changed for me over the years. I have found that in my area of Tennessee, turkeys simply don't gobble as much as they used to. We have a lot of turkeys and a lot of hunters and I think the turkeys may have learned to adapt by not vocalizing as much. It's just a theory but I don't let silence get me down. 90% of turkey killing is getting between them and where they want to go. I find a nice area where I know turkeys frequent, I make myself comfortable and I call sparingly. This technique has worked for me quite well. I killed a limb hanger two years ago with spurs sharp as stilettos and he never made a sound! Hang in there and don't get discouraged.

Jeff

Sorry to hear opening day was a bust but, good luck on the next go around and look forward to a story! :thumbsup:

After dealing with these good-tasting, overgrown chickens for decades, I'm convinced that they're incapable of learning much at all ... and that is what irks me. How can a bird with an IQ of -3 continually outsmart me. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :cursing:

No doubt! They are frustrating in their simplicity. The simplicity being that they outsmart me routinely. I figure the more times I go the more the odds should turn in my favor. One of these mornings/afternoons, one of those buggers is going to mess up!

Jeff

I havent connected yet,and it probably my own fault. I am guilty of messing with the same bird i first tried to call 2 weeks ago. He is staying in the same hollow with a ton of hens. He is showing more interest but still covered in hens and he cant figure out why i havent run down there and let him breed me :rotf: .
I should go on to other places I have to hunt and let him go. Stubbornness runs in my family. I saw my dad mess with the same old tom for the whole turkey season one year, he hunted him for 30 days straight and eventually Dad had a heart attack and had to crawl out of the woods. He saw him many times. He just stayed at a safe distance. I think he got him the next year, he is now hanging on a limb in his den. Dont give up, hope is all we got anyway.

Got some crisp mornings coming up. Should trigger some action. I like to give some owl calls before they fly down, and if they gobble on the roost, you'll be able to do some wing flaps. I use a plastic bag and grab each end and snap it like an accordion. Then get on the hen side of a Lynch, and make some music. Good luck Hanshi.

Back