• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vegetable Fibre Wads & Lube??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Thomas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, never used Veggie Wads. So is there any advantage in C&B pistols? Are they self lubing as they burn or do they still need to be manually lubed?

Should I just stick to lubed felt or wool?

THANKS!

Cpt. Thomas

I never tried them. I know some use them and like them. I prefer to put on grease over the balls so the grease spreads down the bore ahead of the ball and before the powder residue hits the bore.

It may well be a ford chevy dodge thing.

Depending on your wad material there may be a fire hazard with burning wads.

The original instructions from Colt advised to load the ball directly on top the powder with no wad or patch.

I ordered a sheet of .125 hard felt and cut it into .36 and .44 caliber wads, melted several sticks of SPG lube and dumped the wads in until they soaked all the lube up.
I then picked them out with forceps and placed them on pie tin to cool.
Just started to use them under a ball and like what I'm seeing better than my usual Crisco smeared over the chamber mouth.
I'll need a lot more use to finally determine if it will replace the grease only.
One thing I noticed though is the "atomized" Crisco gets all over everything including my face and wiskers if the wind is right. :rotf: Probably why it keeps them from fouling shut with the grease going everywhere. Mike D.

Yea, Crisco is a mess and if it gets very warm in the truck it will run out in your gun bag (ask how I know).

Lubed wads and proper size ball / bullet seal the the chamber and prevent chain fire just fine. The lubed wads are the way to go in my opinion.

Cpt. Thomas

Latest posts

Back