• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Rare Find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Sometimes being a collector has it's great moments and this old rifle has contributed greatly to my experiences! It has been a good year for me in my continual pursuit of the American longrifle.
042_zps5f5e1333.jpg

No sister Alden, just a big brother! My photo bucket has been giving me fits this morning. But with a bit of patience will put up a few more pics.
053_zpse7803305.jpg
044_zpsf9a7f29e.jpg

Hi Capt. Great find!! Wonderful condition and patina. Tell us some more about the gun. Caliber, etc. Super nice. Congrats. Rick. :bow: :v :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Joel. That's a great rifle. Has alot of bedford look to it. Super carving. Show stopper

Ricky, it is pretty close to 50 caliber with very deep groove rifling and a swamped barrel. Once was a flintlock that was converted to percussion. Made in Chambersburg PA Franklin County. Ya, Rob, it does have a bit of a Bedford look about it. I think this style kind of started in the Chambersburg area and was later adapted with more Bedford features in Bedford Co. Kind of a hockey stick profile. It holds and shoulders very nice. Thanks for your compliments!

Thanks for sharing as I love to see pics of the originals! That rifle is in great condition. :thumbsup:

Very nice rifle!
Please tell us how you came upon it?
It has a very fine patch box, well done.
Could you please show us more of the breech area/
How the flint/percussion evolved?
You are very fortunate!
Congrats!
Fred

Well, the two towns Bedford and Chambersburg are only 30 miles apart so not surprising they share the look. Whenever I travel through that area, I stop and the Conococheaque Trading Post. They have a full supply of black powder guns and accessories and super nice people. Isnt the current KRA president from Chambersburg? Really cool area for history buffs. Congrats again on finding a great rifle.

Excellent find, my heartiest congratulations! Looks like a little cleaning and a spit polish my end up with a real beauty!

Old Ford, this rifle came to me at my table during a gunshow. It had been in the same family for nearly 75 years. The conversion to percussion that was performed on this piece was one of the better types of conversions. I believe it was called a "standing breech" or a solid patent breech. Even though the original barrel had been cut off at the breech end, the original barrel length was maintained with no loss with this system. Most of the conversions that were done in this period were the simple cut and redrill\tapp for a drum and nipple. Sure, I would have wished that no conversion at all had taken place on this rifle. Flintlocks rule over percussion in my book, but history speaks for itself!
061_zps55fb6460.jpg
051_zpsb9bd8056.jpg

Wow, I don't know what it takes to run across such nice looking guns. I guess it is just pure thoughts, clean living and going to church every Sunday. :thumbsup:

Billnpatti said:
Wow, I don't know what it takes to run across such nice looking guns. I guess it is just pure thoughts, clean living and going to church every Sunday. :thumbsup:
I'm pretty sure that may have something to do with my good luck, well, most of what you said! (I bought it on a Sunday) I will say that my table at that gun show was not even close to the front entry door. I was not the first person to have been offered it! From many years of study and reading as well as going to some very good shows and looking at original longrifles, I knew what this rifle was when it came to me. Then again....the stars in the heaven's were all in alignment with the moon during it's quarter phase and that caught the rifle's silver moon cheek inlay at the very moment of my good fortune. :hmm: :v

Latest posts

Back