• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Territorials in Alabama

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
So who is going to the NMLRA Territorial in Ashville, Alabama this May 2nd -4th? Me and Stuartg might go to check things out. Its just too bad that there will be no vendors there, its just a shoot according to the people who are running it. But we might run into some folks selling stuff anyway, I would like to pick up a Cherry or Walnut stock.

We use to have an Arizona NMLRA Territorial, and it has not been for several years.

Reason was lack of interest, lack of free help will to run it, recession so people tend to hold on to money in a right to work state, and people want something of value if the if they win, or place.

Come on how many shooting medals do someone need. Like trophies for bowling that just collect dust.

Nice to look at buy only for so long.

akapennypincher said:
We use to have an Arizona NMLRA Territorial, and it has not been for several years.

Reason was lack of interest, lack of free help will to run it, recession so people tend to hold on to money in a right to work state, and people want something of value if the if they win, or place.

Come on how many shooting medals do someone need. Like trophies for bowling that just collect dust.

I go to shoots to meet fellow pistol shooters and improve my shooting. I shoot against myself, no one else.

In all honesty, when I moved, I had to thrown away 2 large bags of medals/plaques, the club was gone and I could not donate them back.

This year in Phoenix I set five (5) new W.N.S. records, 3 Matches and 2 Aggs.

Each year my scores continue to go up, it comes from the help of the High Masters and their insight into pistol shooting. I went from the Marksman group to Expert this year. I was just short of going to the Master Class.

I set a goal to become a pistol shooter and move up in class as I could with experience. Goal is to become a Master, which very few folks achieve. My wife supports the goal.

The last several years I have been fortunate to shoot well in Phoenix and I am beginning to see some of my goals met.

A person needs to shoot against himself, no one else. I never look at the board until the last day and the final scores are posted. It's not about the medals it's about improvement and yourself.

Richard Eames said:
akapennypincher said:

I go to shoots to meet fellow pistol shooters and improve my shooting. I shoot against myself, no one else.

In all honesty, when I moved, I had to thrown away 2 large bags of medals/plaques, the club was gone and I could not donate them back.

This year in Phoenix I set five (5) new W.N.S. records, 3 Matches and 2 Aggs.

Each year my scores continue to go up, it comes from the help of the High Masters and their insight into pistol shooting. I went from the Marksman group to Expert this year. I was just short of going to the Master Class.

I set a goal to become a pistol shooter and move up in class as I could with experience. Goal is to become a Master, which very few folks achieve. My wife supports the goal.

The last several years I have been fortunate to shoot well in Phoenix and I am beginning to see some of my goals met.

A person needs to shoot against himself, no one else. I never look at the board until the last day and the final scores are posted. It's not about the medals it's about improvement and yourself.

I play Pool lot, and understand when I am shooting I control the table until I miss. If I run out, I get to break the next rack. I do not play in no stinking trophy leagues, like APA where the league owner is making a healthy living, and the player get ribbon & trophies. I am a competitive tournament player.

I get a big rush at nights end after paying 7-15 bucks to enter a tournament, going home with a couple of "C" Notes in my pocket.

Yes I also play Pool for fun, but when I am paying a entry fee, it is nice to go for real gold, with presidents photo on them.

What kind of pistol do you shoot? flintlock or percussion? I have seen pictures of pistols with modern grips (finger grooves and thumb slots etc.) and some kind of inline lock or side slapper lock, To me these kind of pistols ought to be outlawed. It should be a Kentucky or Duelist type pistol only.

Pool, I like it, just not much talent there for me, I like pool, just not my game.

When I was in the service, I had a good friend, my boss, who played pool in the NCO Club were I was a bartender. When he played for money and he was serious, he would order a "pine float" as a drink either by him or those who he was playing against. A tooth pick in water with ice "a pine float".

No alcohol, he was going to concentrate on what he was there for. Thanks for the memories, it has been a long time since the service.

armakiller said:
What kind of pistol do you shoot? flintlock or percussion? I have seen pictures of pistols with modern grips (finger grooves and thumb slots etc.) and some kind of inline lock or side slapper lock, To me these kind of pistols ought to be outlawed. It should be a Kentucky or Duelist type pistol only.

I shoot a total of 6 pistols. In a National match you shoot either a 600 or 1,000 point Agg. You shoot percussion, flintlock and revolver. The pistols fall into the unlimited class, bring what you have.

For the most part, percussion pistols which win, fall into the unlimted class, flintlock pistols are what you have and most are right handed locks installed backwards on the left side of the pistol. Grip frames are either Colt 45 or S&W 41 frames with custom made grips. Revolvers are either ROAs as is or tricked out ROAs converted to 36s and used by the top shooters.

Next group is the Traditional, Kentucky cap lock and flintlock pistols with a nod going to Pedersoli Charles Moore style pistols. When going to "As Issue" Revolvers the nod goes to Uberti 1858 New Army, it is the pistol of choice, not Colts. I like the Traditional group, it's more fun to me.

You shoot in the group you want to, I chose to shoot 6 pistols to maximize the number of matches I can shoot.

The Terr. pistol program is unlimited bring what you have, however most pistol shooters who shoot for the top gun patch shoot inlines. There are 3 matches 25 yd slow fire, 25 yd limited timed fire, and 50 yd slow fire with 10shots each and one handed. This year there will be a revolver agg. Most of the top shooters will have some kind of tricked out pistol. My wife and I will attend 3 Terr this year and she will shoot all the pistol stuff, I don't like to lose to her so I stay out of the way! BTW my class is expert also. If you have a nice pistol you should go no matter what and have a good time.

Michael

I don't know, but I would expect a little bit of everything seeing as its a 3 day event. I might be able to attend Saturday with Stuardg but it is a good 4 1/2 drive for me. If I do any shooting it will be with my .40 cal. SMR I've just started shooting. No Pistols as yet Mike. I was hoping it would have some vendors but its not, though I betcha some of the shooters will bring something to sell. I might do a woodswalk or a 50yard offhand match Saturday if they have one.

If you want to see the program the NMLRA website has the shoot program, of course you can call the match director. If no one else will talk to you call me. My # can be found on the NMLRA website also. Look under Field Reps California. The program is the same everywhere and I am also a match director.

Michael

Back