• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cow's knee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Anyone have a pattern and/or instructions for making a cow's knee lock cover? Tips or suggestions? Leather I can get, not sure about leather from the knee of a cow though.
Thanks

I've always built one from a leather stiff enough to hold it's shape and cut in a rounded oval then cut a pie slice out of one end. When stitched back together, it gives it a more tent shape to cover the locks area and have enough height to accommodate the hammer height. Just be sure it's long enough oval to cover the entire lock area and wide enough to cover down below the lock. Don't recall a pattern, though one surely exists. Just be sure you have it big enough to cover all the lock area.

Pretty sure there's a pattern here in the forum somewhere. I used it to make mine.

I used heavily waxed canvas though, because it's what I had at hand at the time.

I tried a cows knee and it works pretty good until you get to a real heavy rain or are walking through pine trees covered with snow and then your gun gets real wet. Here is what I use and it works great under every condition I have run into. http://www.cdlyles.com/ look at page 14.

:thumbsup:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used mine quite a bit and am happy with it. No pattern, I just worked it out using a piece of soft, flexible leather. I simply folded a pleat along one side and sewed it down to make the leather tent up, then fastened strips of leather to each end to hold it on the gun when needed. I didn't cut at the fold, less chance of water leaking through.

I treated it heavily with Snow Seal, heated it with a hair drier to make the wax soak into the leather, I've never had to re-treat it. It's small and flexible enough to roll up and keep in my shot pouch all the time.

It does a very good job. I wrap it loosely on the gun so it can be quickly removed. Here it is in action on a rainy turkey hunt.

Spence

Thanks fellas.
Wes/Tex, that's kinda what I planned but don't want the seem, now I see Spence's version, liking it. Thought of wet molding one like a sheath or holster but I don't know anyone with the same gun as me that will let me wrap it in wet leather :haha:
58caliber, thanks for the link, haven't found a lock cover there yet, but I see lots of other nice stuff.
Spence, thanks again.

One of Mark Baker's books has a pattern. I had to enlarge it a little for my fusil but it works for me. I made mine out of soft leather so that it rolls up small. That cover at Curt Lyles site looks good. I may make one like that. I wonder if there is a period way to "waterproof" one so that it would remain soft so that you could roll it up small?

Yeah, should have mentioned the cut was overlapped and double sewn, in my case. Spence's version may even be better but so far, no complaints! :wink: :thumbsup:

Oudoceus
The covers that I use are a lite weight canvas with a flannel lining and I just treat it with beeswax and a heat gun .They are thin and will roll up and fit in a pouch or pocket or hang over your shoulder.I would rather cover the complete rifle than just the lock and these have done the trick for me .I wont leave the house without mine if there callin for rain or snow. Curt

Beeswax melted and worked into it is great and it is waterproof. Now the heat gun I use is pretty old but probably not PC/HC so you may want to try a fire. :rotf:

Dave

Dave I keep a small iron skillet full of beeswax ,sit it on the woodstove and let it melt and apply it with a putty knife.Heat when nessasary and work it in.I have had the first one we ever made 15 years and don't think its been treated but one time.,course iv forgotten a lot in that time also.

Curt

Dave I guess these covers aren't too PC/HC but they will keep your gun dry unless you fall in the creek. Curt

Back