• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Claude. That's one of the best points I've seen made on this sometimes "touchy" subject.
Well Put.

Don Steele said:
Thank you Claude. That's one of the best points I've seen made on this sometimes "touchy" subject.
Well Put.
It's just marketing - Accept it for what it is. Teach the history, pass on the heritage, but don't get caught up in the modern BS.

I would consider other factors before purchasing this rifle. Such as finding things for it, like moulds, bullets, round balls, etc. Since .50cal is so popular, almost every sporting goods store has stock. I have yet to see anything larger than .54cal on the store shelves. Purchasing online might be the only way to get things. Just my .02

Hi Lenny,
I think you should pass on that "Hawkins" gun.
Just send me the vendors contact information......and I will tell him you don't want the gun.......BUT I do know somebody, who does want it :redface:
Advice??? GET THE GUN!
You can easily get all the supplies needed to shoot it. Being in the GREAT USA, you can have black powder shipped right to your door.
Speer has .570 round balls.

Rifleman1776 said:
RustyC said:
You need to talk to T/C as they call it a Hawken rifle. I am not sure, what is the difference?

Volumes have been written on the differences. TC calls/called it a Hawken for marketing purposes.

Oh my goodness -- here we go again with the injection of this weathered, old, internet holier-than-thou preaching.

Almost everyone here would love the opportunity to buy a fine big T/C Hawken, which is every bit a member of the family as the originals and everyone's Hawken-themed guns, at a bargain.

Is it a good buy? Every one of the T/C Hawken-hating internet parrots who pointlessly start arguments that these are not perfect replicas of a gun that never existed in the first place (they were all custom) would bayonet you to get to that gun for that price if they had the money, and twist it with glee if it was a little lower or they could only put a deposit on it. Watch out!

In 1962 i bought an original Hawken rifle for 35 bucks. The gun was in prisine condition. It was the most ill balanced gun i ever handled: Kind of like a crowbar with a thin sliver of wood attached. Sold it to a guy in San Pedro for 50 bucks.

Okie Hog said:
In 1962 i bought an original Hawken rifle for 35 bucks. The gun was in prisine condition. It was the most ill balanced gun i ever handled: Kind of like a crowbar with a thin sliver of wood attached. Sold it to a guy in San Pedro for 50 bucks.
And now its worth 400 or more as parts or a whole gun in decent shape. You should have saved it.

Despite the increase in name-recognition and value of "Hawken" that Thompson/Center is most responsible for in popular gun culture today (and I think for good reason), could you be implying that even a little heavier, longer, barrels are, I dunno, maybe front-heavy, less practical, and/or unnecesary!? Now you've gone and done it...

Heretic -- I denounce you to the Inquisition!!! You shall surely be lashed with a wet noodle 14 times if not excommunicated for your blasphemy. May He have mercy on your soul because a half-a-dozen self-proclaimed-experts here will soon be flagellating themselves into a frenzy over this...

Not my caliber of choice but for that price you can't go wrong.

Forgive a newbie jumping in, but seems like a good thread to ask a TC question.

How do learn more about my TC 54 ? Original, replica, etc..

Does the serial number give some help ?

Latest posts

Back