• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sword belt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
020-1.jpg
[/URL][/img] Hi all I recently acquired a Sam Browne ,sword belt,leather is still in good shape.However the dude that wore this is a size 30 waist,Iam 32 inch.wanting to add 3-4 inches so I can also wear over coat.
What in your opinion would be the best way to lengthen the belt ,not disturbing the buckle as I want to keep it intact.Also what would you use to hang sword from it ...leather ,chain ? not really familiar with swords yet.

Mate, go see you local saddler he should be able to scarf an extra piece into the back, failing that keep an eye out on ebay for a longer one.

cheers

heelerau

How about adding a longer piece of leather onto the tongue. Just stitch it right over the existing part. It might not be very much if you are extending it a few inches. :hmm:

Neumann's "SWORDS & BLADES of the AMERICAN REVOLUTION" shows a few different ways of belt attachment, from leather straps to a metal belt attachment with chains. A good guide to have, and not a very expensive book in paper back.

Ahhh good tip,Thanx.
For the leather insert,was thinking of coupla pieces of shim brass(single wrapped) one on either side of the insert,fancied up and then sewn on.
Altho now when ,I look where the sword hangs is doubled leather(for reinforcement ),I'd guess.
What are thoughts on reconditioning the leather?

Really, I would use that belt as a pattern and make yer own to fit. For hanging ideas, contact a Freemason, Knights of Columbus or other group that uses ceremonial swords and ask to look at their set up. Some of the hanging hardware can be fancy and might be difficult to acquire. You might have to get clever and devise your own.

another good idea ,as I am having a bit of a problem finding an old belt(Sally Ann and Goodwill)no luck yet.I now have an exact pattern to copy from...
Turns out Sam Browne was an officer in 1850's India he'd lost an arm and modified his sword belt to assist him in drawing his sword,not sure how he did this,altho looking at old pictures,baldrics (over the shoulder straps were used previously) and also belts with hangers,,perhaps he combined the two ,as he wouldn't be ablbe to hold the scabbard to draw the sword...just thinkin here ,no proof.
apparently there is a similar sword belt,American,War of 1812 ,without the baldric.
Research continues

ha ,I do like ter thinkin,and I love talkin to the old boys at the legion,good lead
Rite now ,I have sourced almost all the bits...d rings ,leather,buttons everything but the double but the brass buckle at Tandy's leather.at 2 an 3\4 inch ,seems a bit hard to source ,rite now

Back