• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2 ounce turkey loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I've only had my flintlock 12 bore a couple of years, I'm pretty green about what shoots the best out of it. However, I am very curious why I never see anyone post about shooting 2 ounces of shot in their turkey loads. I think the highest amount I've ever seen was 1 1/2 ounces. 2 oz is a pretty common load with modern shotguns. Is there some secret reason that I don't know about for why I shouldn't pour all that shot in my barrel?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

I don't know the real practical limit on amount of shot but I have open bores in both of my guns and have to use unsplit shot cups to keep the pattern tight for turkeys. I only use what fills the cup since I don't know whether extra shot will disrupt the pattern.

Well, seeing as how most folks keep their load ranges between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 using 75 to 85grns. of 2ff, I think the 2oz of shot would take close or over 100 grns. to pattern worth a darn. I think that's the reason why. 100 to 120 grns. of 2ff behind 2oz of shot might not be a very pleasant experience to shoot :shocked2: .

Like anything else, a 2 oz. is possible but remember that you're doing 12 gauge Magnum or 10 gauge loads converted to black powder. In a 6.5 or 7.5 pound percussion shotguns, recoil will be fairly strenuous! It's a lot easier on the anatomy to go with lighter loads and shotcups to get enough shot to the target.

I have a 10ga fowler, my load is 2 1/8oz of nickel #6 and 110grn 2F swiss. now if i can just get a tom to play along with the program..

Medic302 said:
I have a 10ga fowler, my load is 2 1/8oz of nickel #6 and 110grn 2F swiss. now if i can just get a tom to play along with the program..
That sounds like a real barker! ought to get teh job done for you! :thumbsup:

Never hunted with anything but lead shot. I've killed more then one turkey with 7/8 oz over 65 grains 2f. Do you need more shot to give you good pattrens with non lead shot?Do you get good kills at longer range then my 20? How does it compare to volume,how big is your colum of shot? I expect 7/8 would be far to small in a 10 bore.

I tested that very idea (sort of) one day with a modern shotgun. I compared a 12 guage 3 1/2 inch turkey mag shell to one of my ¾ ounce loads loaded with homemade swan shot. Two turkey targets were placed at 100 yards and the rounds fired.
The ¾ ounce load had 7 pellets in the head and neck they imbedded deeply into the plywood backboard.
The” turkey” load had approximately the same number of pellets in the head and neck area; however the pellets bounced off the target with most not even being able to tear the paper. Only two pellets were found stuck to the plywood and they were easily removed by touching.
When the turkey mag shell was fired there was a noticeable delay between the gunshot and the sound of the pellets hitting the target.
I have also found smaller and lighter loads in my muzzleloading 12 gauge to very effective especially at tightening the patterns.
My point is that bigger is not always better or necessary and one should always do a pattern/penetration test

tenngun said:
Never hunted with anything but lead shot. I've killed more then one turkey with 7/8 oz over 65 grains 2f. Do you need more shot to give you good pattrens with non lead shot?Do you get good kills at longer range then my 20? How does it compare to volume,how big is your colum of shot? I expect 7/8 would be far to small in a 10 bore.

mine is lead too, just nickel plated. in my opinion with hunting pheasants with a muzzleloader, the nickel plated shot patterns more evenly. a 7/8oz load would be an awefully short shot column in a 10ga. probably not much more that a layer or two of pellets. my 10 didn't start to pattern really well until I hit 1 3/4oz. i settled on the 2 1/8oz load because the extra pellets just filled out the pattern better at 35 yrds with 40yrds being my personal limit with this gun since it is only cylinder bored. I haven't shot a turkey with it yet, but hopefully that will change here in a couple of weeks.

colorado clyde said:
I just know theres gotta be somebody out there using a .410 :grin:
Used to but some low-life decided it'd look better in his house! Rats!!

colorado clyde said:

I don't think there would be many, the .410 isn't a legal turkey gauge in most states.

colorado clyde said:
Yes,Yes, legality was niether my point nor my endorsement. my point was that it doesn't and shouldn't take a howitzer to take a turkey. :v

we're in agreement on that, it only takes one pellet in the brain or spine.

colorado clyde said:

I did it once to complete my gauge slam. Never took the safety until the old tom got inside the 20 yard stakes. Bird flopped around so much I was thinking I'd have to shoot him some more, but didn't have to. On gauge slams we use 7.5's in the smaller gauges. I normally hunt them with a ten gauge and it's bang, plop all over very little kicking.

Medic302 said:
tenngun said:

mine is lead too, just nickel plated. in my opinion with hunting pheasants with a muzzleloader, the nickel plated shot patterns more evenly. a 7/8oz load would be an awefully short shot column in a 10ga. probably not much more that a layer or two of pellets. my 10 didn't start to pattern really well until I hit 1 3/4oz. i settled on the 2 1/8oz load because the extra pellets just filled out the pattern better at 35 yrds with 40yrds being my personal limit with this gun since it is only cylinder bored. I haven't shot a turkey with it yet, but hopefully that will change here in a couple of weeks.

FWIW a friend of mine & I went pheasant hunting yesterday (NY State has a later season--April 15th is last day)with Pedersoli 10 ga. doubles. He used an ounce and 5/8 over 90 grains of single F and I used an ounce and 3/4 over 80 grains of 3Fg. Both muzzys folded the birds to great effect (using lead #6's), with neither of us experiencing any "felt recoil" effects. I've even shot birds flyin' overhead off-the-shoulder and low near the ground with the mighty ten at my side. It's all about getting used to it. You don't really even think about it--you just do it, lol!

My longest crumple occurred a season or two ago at approx. 35 yards, so I would have NO trouble using it for turkey if I so desired.

Have a GREAT season!

Dave

Back