• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C New Englander...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plain old dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got into one a while back and am wanting to start shooting the thing once it warms up good. Probably hunt with it this fall, too. Came in a trade with a lot of accessories and is in decent shape. Questions follow:

1) Is there any way to tell how old this gun is?
2) I do NOT like cleaning; never shoot corrosive cartridge ammo and have tried several BP substitutes. How's Triple 7 for rifles?
3) Should I expect decent results with conicals with this rifle or should I just stay with plain old round balls?

I do NOT like cleaning; never shoot corrosive cartridge ammo and have tried several BP substitutes. How's Triple 7 for rifles?

Don't even shoot it....sell and buy a nice ceterfire you can leave alone after enjoying some range time. Cleaning is a MUST or you will ruin a nice gun someone else would love to have. And I mean CLEANING like spotless. Anything (safely) shot outta the barrel is highly corrosive, including 777 and subsitutes can be worse than BP.

IMHO anyway. Try classified section, someone here will snatch it up quick if priced right!

What Azmntman said. Either you have to get past this cleaning thing or you will end up ruining a good gun. I don't particularly like cleaning either but I know it has to be done so I just do it and get it over with. Not really that bad and you have to tell yourself that.

Well, as my sig says, I'm an AO in the Navy. As much as I *hate* pre/postfires, I reckon you have to do what you have to do to hunt in muzzleloader season.

Still interested an answers to the other 2 questions, and maybe a source for a carrying strap or sling. No sling swivels on this one, and I prefer to not drill undrilled wood for a sling.

I had a New Englander at one time but never tried to find out when it was made so I can't help with telling how old it might be.

If I didn't have a local source for black powder, I'd use Triple 7 over any of the other powders. I've used it in a couple of rifles and it shoots good and chean-up is easier than 2F Goex black powder.

Dixie Gun works sells a sling that doesn't require swivels:

Dixie

Q#1: TC had a fire years ago that destroyed all of their production records. As a result only God knows how old your gun is.
Q#3: Having gone through the process of plastic thingys we don't mention here to conicals to patched round ball, I can state the the round ball kills just as dead. It also uses less powder and less lead. Less recoil is another benefit that lets you enjoy the more shooting that results from the lead and powder saved.

Wasn't even considering the plastic gadgets, and copper's only place in a frontloading rifle/handgun is on the nipple. Or maybe as decoration on a long rifle. I am firmly in the Chunk O' Lead camp, and my only thought was conical vs. round ball.

1) Is there any way to tell how old this gun is?

Not that i am aware of.

2) I do NOT like cleaning; never shoot corrosive cartridge ammo and have tried several BP substitutes. How's Triple 7 for rifles?

777 is not as corrosive as BP or Pyrodex but it will rust your gun if not properly cleaned. i've seen several guns with ruined bores from shooting 777.

3) Should I expect decent results with conicals with this rifle or should I just stay with plain old round balls?

My .50 New Englander shoots patched round balls so well i never got around to seriously considering conicals.

Is it a 50 or 54? Either one will be deadly and can be very accurate. TC made them right.
And seriously, black powder is proof that love is dirty.

It's a .50. The few holdouts in the deer woods here in East TN that still hunt with side-lock guns almost to a man hunt with .50s. My friend I went to the Sgt. York shoot with yesterday is the only person I have ever heard of that hunts with a .58...

The answer to number 2 is NONE of the black powder substitutes can be shot without cleaning the barrel after your done. This includes 777 and all the rest.

Actually, cleaning is not that difficult.

All that's needed is some regular water, a brass cleaning jag that is sized for your guns bore, a cleaning rod and some patches.
You will also need a good gun oil to protect the metal after it's been cleaned.

If you used any type of oil or grease as a patch lubricant or bullet lube, add a few drops of dishwashing soap to the water to cut the grease/oil.

What is also great about the New Englander is that if you watch the classified ads you can pick up a 12 gauge barrel for it.
What a combination.
Also you can get a .54 barrel.
All this can be done for under $500.
A little tip, the New Englander has a history of cracked stocks right near the lock bolt.
Get someone to glass bed the rear portion of the barrel & stock area. This will help the crack problem.
You cannot get new parts from the factory.
Enjoy you great gun.
Fred

Can see advantage to a 12 bore barrel. But what advantage would a 54 have over a 50? Apparently I did something right last time I shot the rifle and cleaned liberally with Ballistol. No rust in the bore, and only light rust around the bolster. Wiped right off.

Just a bigger hole a little further away.

The way I think about it is a muzzleloader is just another deer knocking black powder rifle but you don't have to worry about cleaning brass for it. :2

I think the easiest powder to clean is Black MZ by Alliant. It shots great in small caliber percussion, when packed tight. I don't know about larger calibers. I'm a little bit lazy from time to time and have learned to break the cleaning into easy steps. For example: I went to the range and shot my 36 custom long rifle, on Friday. When I got home, I removed the lock, wiped it down with solvent, and used a Q-tip to clean the tight spots. Pumped water thru the barrel, ran a dry patch down the barrel, then an oiled patch. I wiped the outside of the gun off. Cleaned the nipple. I put all the small parts in a plastic container. Next time I'm in the shop, I'll go over it and put it back together. I spent maybe 15-20 minutes, and by breaking it down into two stages, I don't dread it as much. I am fortunate enough, to have a work area, that no one else, has access to.

I don't know what twist that rifle has. If it's 1/48, then it should shoot a patched ball or conical. The Lee REAL bullets, where considered, to be a good conical for TC's.

A little tip, the New Englander has a history of cracked stocks right near the lock bolt.

Yes, it does have a history of cracked wooden stocks, mostly from shooting heavy conicals.
As you stated, that is easily prevented by bedding.

Never saw a cracked Tupperware stock.

Latest posts

Back