• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pick & Whisk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished this pick & whisk set.  The handles on these are turned out of black horn.

PickampWhiskHornHandle3_zps2d6a880f.jpg

PickampWhiskHornHandle1_zpsef225274.jpg

Very nice- what did you use for the bristles and how did you attach them in the handle? Thanks...

Yelnif,

The brush is horse hair. The bristles are crimped in a brass cup which is then mounted in the horn handle.

Thank you dave, I thought it might be horse hair.
Again- very nice craftsmanship :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Dave, I like the cover for the pick. Very well executed, but, that doesn't seem to surprise me... Bud

Rifleman,

No”¦not stinky. Horn turns beautifully and easily with sharp tools. Polishes easily as well on the lathe.

for what it's worth, I made a powder horn from bison recently... went through the various grits down to 400, without very good result, and finally decided that I'd fooled around with this project enough, so I took some bowling alley wax to it and - ta DA - it took a great finish.

so, the question, did you have a similar experience on the lathe? are your tools finished with a wax or some sealer or something like that?

thanks!

Latest posts

Back