• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which to buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Gudeman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,
-New to the forum. (Hope I'm asking this question in the correct thread area.) I'm looking for my first BP rifle. I've narrowed it down to the Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 , and the Cabela's Pedersoli Trad Hawken in .50. Both seem great "first guns." The Trade is, as you know, very basic, and the Cabela's has some bells and whistles (inset patch box, ramp rear sight, and the double set trigger, etc.). Are the bells and whistles worth the $155 difference in cost?

Looking to buy soon, so your insights are appreciated.

The quality of the gun is worth more than the price difference without the extras .

I would get the Pedersoli, they came out with a new Hawken for 2014 which is why cabelas probably has the old model on sale.
here is a link showing it

http://youtu.be/8mHymAfXWmo

Thanks for the quick reply guys. That's my choice also. It was my first one that I handled and then I tried to find a reason not to get it. Go with the gut, is best sometimes. Also, just making sure not to overspend...it can sometimes be easy to do in the world of firearms.

Thanks so much...

I have a Lyman GPR and love it. I also have an Investarms in 58 that looks just like this rifle. It is a little cheaper and looks like a good starter.

Geo. T.

I've owned the Lyman Trade rifle, and let me tell you, it is a fine rifle. It may look plain but, it is a good shooter and if you want one to hunt with, you don't need all the bells and whistles. The animal ain't gonna care if it's pretty! :grin: That rifle will take some abuse and the extra $155 you save can get some pretty good accessories. Just :2

Whichever you select, I'd give serious thought to whether you'd rather have a 50 or a 54. Never met anyone who regretted getting the 54 instead, but a whole lot of folks move up pretty quick from a 50 to a 54.

Neither here nor there because both are great. But there's just something about a 54....

That trade rifle is unbelievably cheap! If I could get one of them in .54 at that price I'd be a happy chappy!

I would go with the Lyman,don't need the the extra looks.
I see you are from PA.,and if you are planning to use the rifle in the after Christmas season you will need a Flintlock.The caplock is good for the Oct hunt.

I originally was looking at .54s (seem more versatile), but a guy at a local shop said manufacturers are getting away from .54s and that projectiles would be slowly dumped. Was he wrong, or was he trying to get me to buy what he had?

If I were to compare price-wise between the two in .54...they come to about $50 difference with taxes.

So whataya say?

I agree with "SRChief" to go with the flinter.
Not only is flintlock required for the late season, but it is much more addictive. Also If you wish to go percussion later the transition is very much easier to go from flint to percussion than going from percussion to flint.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

M8Driver said:
I originally was looking at .54s (seem more versatile), but a guy at a local shop said manufacturers are getting away from .54s and that projectiles would be slowly dumped. Was he wrong, or was he trying to get me to buy what he had?

If I were to compare price-wise between the two in .54...they come to about $50 difference with taxes.

So whataya say?

well, he may be privy to information about which I know nothing, but I do agree that this assertion has trouble passing the 'smell test.' (There- a very elegant way of saying:

:bull: :bull: :bull:

but I'm on your side here ...)

I wouldn't worry about what the "in crowd" is doing ... as far as the notion that 'manufacturers are dumping projectiles,' I can't help but note that I have been making my own projectiles since the early eighties, and this manufacturer isn't dumping anything is the foreseeable future ... an inexpensive Lyman mold and a ladle and melting pot (and if you don't have one, you should) and 'manufacturers' can do whatever they want.

We are muzzleloader shooters, and we shouldn't be followers of fashion.

OK- that's the tirade for now...

M8Driver said:

So whataya say?

I don't think he is correct, maybe just listening to rumors or who knows. I think 54 is more popular today than it used to be. There are enough of them around that you wouldn't have trouble getting projectiles for a long time and if you get into casting, you can make your own projectiles. Also there are a few calibers around that are less popular than the 54 and you can still get projectiles for them without much problem.

Hey folks...thanks for all the input and recommendations to flinter.

I still have the same question about manufacturing quality. Lyman vs pedersoli?

The first two respondents (and they were quick) went with the pedersoli. Others have had a definitive "Lyman." I've read some of the threads that have said they weren't happy with quality as of lately.

I'm now going for the .54 and the price between the two (same general models) is now about $50 difference.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but again which would you choose...strictly on quality?

"I still have the same question about manufacturing quality. Lyman vs pedersoli?"

Lyman, years ago quality was acceptable, not today.

I would not buy Lyman unless I can stand in a store and inspect a rifle in person.

Too many negative posts here in the last 2 years about Lyman products across what they sell.

I am a believer in Pedersoli, you pay for what you receive. I shoot Pedersoli, (rifle, pistol and shotgun,) at the National level, only one Lyman goes into the truck and it is a backup rifle.

Both of these guns are modern style guns. I would look at picking up a used gun. You can find a nice T/C or older Lyman for a good price. I bought a unfired 1979 Uberti Sante Fe Hawkens last year for just a little more than you are going to pay for your new gun. You can get a used T/C New Englander 54 for around 200.00

If you really get into black powder you will out grow this first gun anyway. Just a thought.

It is true, manufacturers are getting rid of both 45 and 54 caliber. However, it's not roundball or conicals our 1:48 to 1:66 range caplock and flintlocks shoot.

It's the 1 in 28 twist modern inlines that shoot saboted rounds. Although, they'll be able to find them for many many years, or you need to buy sabots separately, and then buy pistol bullets to fill the sabot.

54 roundball is not hard to to find. If a shop has more than just 50 cal roundballs, you'll get the .530" ball you need.

54 is a great caliber to hunt with. Tons of knockdown power.

Avoid the T/C firestorm like a plague. Complete piece of junk. Poor lock, flimsy stock, soft frizzen.

Go for a flintlock first. If you like the sport / hobby, then get a caplock for those foul weather days. Although, you can still hunt just fine in bad weather with a flintlock too.

Keep the pan empty and put a feather in the touchhole. When a deer is in the area, fill the pan and pull the feather.

Zero the gun at 75 yards and put a full recommended charge in the barrel and you can point and shoot up to 100 yards without fiddling with bullet drop.

I got a 54 cal lyman GPR. Lyman makes great stuff.

Nothing wrong with 50 cal either.

Some do say 45 cal is a bit light. If using 45 cal, I would shoot those maxi-balls or similar conicals. However, there are plenty of folks who harvest deer with 45 cal, even 40 cal roundball too.

I like having extra to spare, hence the 54 cal.

In general, I like a elk or moose capable implement to harvest whitetails.

Back