• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Glass Bedding a full stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfannin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone glass bedded a half or full stock ML? Is there any advantage, better accuracy maybe. It works of course on modern rifles but I've never heard of it being done on a traditional ML.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Greyhawk

Been doing it for 20 yr. usually not entire bbl. channel. I acra-glas gel the tang area & out 3-4 inches or so. On big bore 1/2 stocks I do the whole thing. If it's good enough for camp Perry 1000 yd. matches--then good for me as well...NEVER had a stock crack after bedding--it's so strong you can glue metal to metal with it. Just be sure to read the instructions, if you skip the release agent you have a one piece bbl & stock. ..Tom

There are several threads about doing it.
It helps especially when done around the tang and first several inches from the tang/breech and forward.
That's where the brunt pressures of recoil are placed and where it's most likely to have any shifting at all if there is any.

Don't think it's necessary if competent inletting is done. Possibly "guilding the lily"? The modern mindset can "dream up" all sorts of "improvements" made to MLers, but what the hay....as the saying goes..."it's your MLer so do w/ it what you will".....Fred

I bed every rifle I build but NOT for accuracy.

We are talking black powder here, not a Magnum Weatherby. A properly inlet tang will give you more accuracy than bedding a stock.

What bedding will do is strengthen the weakest potential areas of the rifle - namely the sides of the barrel channel and the web.

I also coat the trigger inlet, lock inlet and inside of the patchbox (if applicable).

I use unthickened marine epoxy (usually West System) and just keep (painting) it on until the wood won't take any more.

If the barrel inlet is a little "sloppy" in places, then I will thicken the epoxy with a little silica for the final coat, wax the barrel and then fasten it in until the epoxy is set.

So I say, if you are doing it to strengthen the build, absolutely go for it. If you are doing it because you think you will improve accuracy - save you time and money (which would be better served with an extra pound of powder and a box of balls - practice would do more for you impact point than a bedded barrel)

I have bedded all three of my flinters that I have built. 2 halfstalks and one fullstock fowler. Partly because I'm not a professional gun builder and my barrels are always a little wiggly after inletting. I use acraglass and have been very happy with it. Like stated above: be sure to use release agent as this stiff holds well. I know it's not PC but neither are most of the things that I do. (clean with hot water, keep gun in gun closet, pour my own balls with electric pot, drive a car to the huntin' woods keep my meat in an electric freezer....you get the point)

Thanks to all that replied. I'll think I try bedding a little on my 32 squirrel as the inletting on it is a little loose and I'm worried about the strength. If nothing else it should be less likely to break on me. I use it a lot for squirrels and small game so it takes a beating.

Back