• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Char cloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbtusa said:
Have you found a source for long pieces of lamp wick? It's impossible to find here in Boise it seems.

The wicks I get at a local hardware store appear to be the same length as the uncut wicks in Skunkskinners first picture. I have never come across any longer than that.

Up here in the northeast I use rotten maple(soft dead center) for char. Follow the same procedures.
Great photo guide!!
Nit Wit

Thanks Nit Wit and wyOmn.

I'm one of those that does not like to read the instructions, but give me some pictures and I'm good to go :thumbsup:

Morning boys,
I stoped in to super duper Wall manure on the way over to Yotie Joe's and I be damned but they had wicks in their candle section, lamp oil, lamp etc...
just over a buck, so I cleaned em out.
:thumbsup:

Nice pictorial! I, too, like pictures instead of written directions, but I'm a little dyslexic.
Also, I like my butane lighter best! :grin: :haha:

I had the wife pick me up some paint cans a couple of months ago to make charcloth, but she couldn't remember what size I wanted. So, she brought me two quart cans and two GALLON cans! :shocked2: I used one of the quart cans to make charcloth and decided to store it all in one of the gallon cans. It is almost full now after a couple of charring episodes. I will probably have enough charcloth for at least a few days of firemaking!!! :rotf:

Altoids and other candies were sold in round containers with friction fit top. These can be used if you drill a hole where the top and bottom meet. To heat the char, you line up the holes and set in the coals. Then as it cools, you simply turn the top so that the holes no longer line up. This works well.

Paul: I agree with your post. Charcloth is too undependable because according to Murphy's Law, everything is going to get wet someday, inevitably. Charcloth is ruined if it gets soaked. That is why I am learning charwood instead (rotten punky wood), and yes, the bow & drill. I want to be able to start fire even if all char gets ruined by falling in the river. A burning glass may work, but a bow & drill is better. Even better still is the hand drill. I'm still a novice at the bow & drill and it is still not dependable enough for me.

I'm sure the western trappers got dunked all the time, ruining all their char, so they had to start over from scratch. Fire out west when it's cold is a matter of life & death... no warm settler's cabin to run to.

They knew where to find dry tinder, even in rainstorms- and most people today don't. If those trappers and explorers still had any black powder- even if it was wet, rubbing it on the surface of dry tinder will help it catch( black soot draws and retains heat), and retain sparks long enough to blow into embers, and then into fire.

People carried charred ends of sticks from their last fire, to give them something dry enough to start their next fire. Or, they looked for old campsite- people through the years always noted the location of, and explored any caves, overhangs, or likely spots where upturned trees blocked the wind and the roots gave some shelter from snow and rain.

People watched the clouds, and the directions of winds as they traveled, to warn them of changes in the weather. They camped sooner, and made preparations constantly for keeping themselves dry, along with their provisions. None of this was written about, because everyone did it as a matter of common sense. Little kids were sent out to pick up dry wood, and learned early where to find it, and not be taking wet wood back to home, or camp.

This has been called by historians as a " Wood Culture" based on the fuel most commonly used for cook and heating homes. It lasted for thousands of years.

In the mountains, Dry pine needles could be found on the inside of branches everywhere. Use the "Snap" test to find truly dry sticks, branches, and twigs.

I surprised my best friend one day when I got his fireplace fire going, when he had burned up all his newspaper, had forgotten to buy a "firelog" at the grocery store, had not dry sticks or lumber in his tinder box in the basement, and had ONLY a HUGE Osage Orange log sitting on the firedogs to burn.

I took him outside, and gathered dry twigs, sticks, and branches, on the third day of a constant downpour in 40 degree weather that day. He was surprised that I found so much dry wood around his home, that he didn't know was there.

I used flint and steel, with charclothe to start that fire, and part of a hemp rope I unraveled to make my nest, but I could have made that fire several other ways, including using my bow and spindle to make the embers. That Osage Orange stump lit up under my very hot fire like it was an old, dried out piece of soft pine, or balsaw wood. His wife came home after we got the Log burning well, and I had put away my fire starting kit. She asked if he had remembered to buy a firelog, and he admitted he had forgotten. She then, asked, puzzled, how he got the fire going? When he told her that I started it with tinder I had found all around their house, she thought he was talking about INSIDE the house. She started telling him how she had looked for newspaper and tinder in the box in the paper, when he cut her off, and told her I had found it OUTSIDE the house. She sat down, and asked where in the world could I possibly find dry wood outdoors after 3 days of rain. He told her what I did, and her jaw just kept dropping more and more and.... You get the idea.

After that, he labeled me his " Consummate Boy Scout". All I said was, " OH, POLEEAZE!"I am like other people who take the time to learn primitive survival skills. My blood pressure screams upward in frustration while I am mastering the skill, but later, after I have mastered the skill, I don't think there is too much to talk about. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Nice story, like the old motto says "Be Prepared" and you were. Nice to be able to do something for a friend, now teach him what you know- you know like teaching someone to fish. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Is it hc to carry char of some kind and a little dry tinder in a well waxed oiled or greased fabric or leather pouch or wallet (parfletch) in your bag? When done right it should keep everything dry even with a quick dunking though maybe not a bath.

What about using old white cotton socks?

The inside of the sock is rough and should catch a spark.

Has any one tried them?

Foster From Flint

Back