• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman target minnies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone tried these in a Zouave repro? I am limited to a hundred yard range and only shoot target, plus looking for reduced recoil loads. These weigh around 325 grains. (Yeah, would search but can't figure out how to fine tune it.)

Thanks in advance!

The 325 Lyman minie is good for target use and reduced recoil. I'm not sure which Zouave reproduction you have. If it has three groove shallow rifling, it should shoot the 325 pretty good. When casting, I use pure lead but add about 1/4-1/2% tin to get better fill-out. Keep the base plug hot and the lead hotter (around 800 degrees) so that you don't end up with a void in the base cavity. I use 40-50 grains of FFFg black powder and fill the base with black powder bullet lube when loading. I can shoot these 40 or 50 times without wiping before the bore gets too fouled to reload. The shorter "target" minie shoots better than the heavier slugs in slow twist barrels.

What curator says is about right on. I'll add that you will have problems casting minies with a bottom pour furnace, use a ladle. I do disagree with him about putting lube in the base but it works for him so... I think the skirt on the Lyman is a little too thick and I went over to a Rapine which is the same bullet except it has a thinner skirt and the aluminum mold has the advantage of a captive base pin (Lymans can be reworked). The downside is that you can't get that mold any more. 40 gr. of 2f works fine

Thanks, guys! :hatsoff: I have a bottom pour furnace but also an old dip ladle with a pour spout or nipple which I've used for full size Minnie's. My gun is a '72 Zoli. Think I will start with roundball but would like to try the stubbies.

Hawkeye
I use a 20 lb Lyman bottom pour lead pot to cast the Lyman 575-213 HB Minie (505gr) and never have a problem with casting them. Over the years I've cast thousands of them, just have to get the mold & base plug up to temperature..

I agree with you about getting the mold and the base plug hot. Casting at a high temperature helps too. The most common complaint is a void or air bubble at the apex of the base plug. Using a ladle seems to minimize this. Many of us use a modified base plug to give a larger cavity and a thinner skirt which may aggravate the problem. Even so most of those I know will not use a bottom pour furnace because of voids and occasional failures to fill out the skirt fully. Not to say it is impossible since it works for you, just not well for me.

That bubble at the top of the base plug can make you crazy. Worst I've seen is the plugs with the flat spot at the apex.

Back