• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag needs help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLanoy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my shooting/hunting bag and it needs waterproofing for the rainy weather here in Oregon. Can you resourceful folks suggest a good product and directions to apply it? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I would make a 50/50 mixture of Birchwood Casey gun wax and neatsfoot oil and rub a little into the surface.

It will darken the leather but I like neatsfoot oil and then rubbing in warm beeswax after the oil has soaked in and dried. :idunno:

I'm ok with the leather darkening. In fact, I'm hoping for that effect anyway.

sno-seal or mink oil (didn't know they were oily) what loggers all use in OR. WA. AND AK. ....Tom old logger type...

Follow the directions on the jug. Blow dryers work, best I've found was the rack over my wood stove and a nice long low heat.
It can be overdone, too much of any of the products is too much.

Will do. Got an old blow dryer I keep by my work bench for speeding up glue projects so, that will work. :thumbsup:

+1 on the snow seal. Heat the oven no hotter than 100 degrees, and turn it OFF. Place bag in the oven on an old towel to keep it from touching anything that will stain it. Take the bag out after 5 mins. Put the towel with bag on your lap and work it in. Good stuff! :thumbsup: only do the shiny side of the leather, extra on the seams.

sno-seal will work much better than the pastewax idea ... the wax is not pliable enough to do you much good ...

good luck with your project!

I use clear Kiwi shoe polish with mink oil and silicone in a tin. I've used it on custom holsters, belts, etc. and it does darken the leather but softens and protects it too.

Ok, canceled the order for the sno-seal as I was talking to my neighbor and he gave me a can of Montana Pitch Blend. I figured, what the heck, it was free! :grin:

Anyway, cleaned the leather, heated it with my blow dryer and rubbed it in vigorously. I put on two coats and then dried it again with the blow dryer. I think it came out pretty well. :idunno: It definitely darkened it up some.

That's smart, they nail ya with shipping an handling charges.
Keep an eye out for Sno Seal at local hardware an fleet supply's, chances are you'll find some local an give it a try sometime

Latest posts

Back